General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Heated gear) I used to think you were a wimp...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 02:33 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
After riding 75 miles to Dallas one day when it was 30°a few years ago, I got some heated glove liners. Since then, I've used them twice. If I can wear a layer for every 10° below 80°, I'm fine. Like 50° is 3 layers.
Thanks man, I will struggle to remember that valuable information the next time it is in the twenties or maybe the teens. Sure hope it is as helpful to everyone else and they are as grateful as I am. Honestly, thanks!!!

Old 11-20-2017, 06:40 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Brother, if you ride like I do, and after reading this post I believe you do, take a serious look at their heated outer pants.
Yep, they are on my list.

The other thing I need is a better face shield. Not that a Shoei pinlock shouldn't be great - but it's barely better than a standard shield. I hear snowmobile shields work well.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:40 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Thanks man, I will struggle to remember that valuable information the next time it is in the twenties or maybe the teens. Sure hope it is as helpful to everyone else and they are as grateful as I am. Honestly, thanks!!!
Yeah sure. And I know sarcasm when I read it. Honestly.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:28 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I've had Gerbing heated gloves for about 7 years now. When I first got them I didn't get the controller because "how hot can they get?". LOL, The first time I used them I had to pull over after about 10 minutes because my hands were burning. I then bought the dual controller and things were much better. A couple of years ago I picked up the heated jacket liner at a rally. I use fleece lined jeans under my rain pants. I've ridden in 15 degree weather and was comfortable with that and my heated gear. I use a balaclava style thing that is long enough to reach down my chest that keeps the cold air from finding it's way in at my throat and around my collar.
I carry the little gel heat packs with me if my feet get too cold. Walmart carries them. Hothands Toe Warmers

Old 11-20-2017, 10:17 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Yep, they are on my list.

The other thing I need is a better face shield. Not that a Shoei pinlock shouldn't be great - but it's barely better than a standard shield. I hear snowmobile shields work well.
It's WAY better than a standard face shield. If you've never used a Pinlock, you won't believe how well they work. It can be 30 degrees, and you can blow your breath directly up behind the visor, and nothing. You can't fog it up, even if you try. More than necessary when it's cold and/or damp out.

Originally Posted by Deucedog
..When I first got them I didn't get the controller because "how hot can they get?". LOL, The first time I used them I had to pull over after about 10 minutes because my hands were burning...
Got schooled, eh? Most people who've never used heated gear are going to be very surprised...without a controller, gloves can literally burn your skin, because they're going full hot.

Gotta have a controller!

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 06:41 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

I've had a pair of these gloves for about 15 years https://offerup.com/item/detail/359185673/
Always kept my hands warm and I had to use a controller because they would get too hot.
Last year I replaced the old gloves (leads had broken again) with these
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...anguard-gloves
They heat differently (feels like more heat in the palm rather than the backside of the glove, as opposed to the old gloves) and don't get nearly as hot but my hands don't get cold.
JMO - I think the new gloves are made so that they will NOT burn your hand just to avoid lawsuits.
BTW - I did get the leads replaced on my old gloves. Sent them down to Heated Clothing RX - http://www.heatedclothingrx.com/services.html
I had some repairs done to my 10 year old Gerbings jacket liner and the gloves. The repairs look good and they got the jacket liner covered under warranty. Only downside was it took several weeks for the repairs so I was lucky I had sent them in early.