General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Fever

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 08:54 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Harley Davidson Fever

I have never considered myself manic, nor have I ever had trouble sleeping until recently when i bought my first Harley, which is also my first motorcycle. Three weeks ago I found a smoking deal on a 2012 FXDB that the previous owner had laid down. Needless to say it needs a little bit of work. I originally told myself that I'm just going to fix what is broken and ride it but soon after I encountered the snowball effect. Example, I have to pull the bars off to replace them. I also need to pull the internal wiring back through so i figure while I have them off, I might as well replace the top tree from the integral built in riser to a bushing style top tree so I can dial in my bars. I have wanted to build my own custom bike for 30 years so now that I have it and a little extra cash and seeing that I have to take this or that apart anyway, i might as well rebuild it exactly how I want it. The problem with rebuilding it how I want it is that, though I thought i knew quite a bit about bikes, I quickly realized you don't really know what bolts up and what needs fab work and modding unil you actually own that certain model of bike and start researching and learning. Having never owned a Harley or a motorcycle, I have a severe learning curve, so everyday now is filled with looking at pics, scouring forums, asking questions, searching part numbers and pricing out parts. The problem that I am now having is that I can't shut my brain off and the bike build is keeping me up at night. I lay down to go to sleep but my mind goes straight to the build. I will be starting to doze off and all.of the sudden I will wonder, can you run fxdf trees on a fxdb or can you mount a 200 rear tire on a stock fxdb without offsetting the motor, or any other of the thousands of questions that arise during a build. Also what is contributing to the situation is that I have accomplished my dream to own my first Harley but I can't really ride it because it needs work. Seeing the bike everyday and not being able to ride it has been pure torture. So wanting to get all my parts ordered and getting the work done ASAP so I can finally ride the bike is also.contributing to the bike keeping me up at night. I decided to put my thoughts into words and write this because I know I can't be the first person to experience this, Harley fever, builders fever, rebuilders fever, I don't know what you woukd call it but the struggle is quite real. I long for the day when I turn the last bolt and i.can finally ride the bike thst I built exactly how I want it.
Don't get me wrong though, you might take my post like I'm complaining but I'm really not. I wouldn't change my situation for the world. I finally own my first Harley and a few sleepless nights in return for getting my build exactly how I want it is a luxury problem. I know I will sleep like a baby when the bike is finally back on the road.
Thanks for letting me rant, goodnight, we'll actually it's now 6:34 AM, so good day.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:59 AM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

What you are describing is typical of owning a Harley. Not sleeping, daydreaming about the build at work, all that is to be expected.

Now get er dun so you can get some breeze to the face

Old 05-27-2018, 09:03 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

We all go threw the same deal got my Harley wasn’t going to buy any gear a month later i am loaded with all kind stuff its being part of a family. We only live once enjoy thanks for the post.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:10 AM
Valleyofthegun
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for letting me know I'm not losing it.
I haven't taken out a second mortgage to finance Ohlin's susspension and Performance Machine braking system so I probably shouldn't be complaining.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:08 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,207 Posts

The only advice I can give you is slow down with the mods..
A) Make the bike safe
B) Fix whats broken
C) Perform maint work
D) Season to take
E) Heavy mod is needed

My surprise is reading this is your first bike and you want Ohlins suspension - If you never rode why do you want that? Do you even need it... Slow down, go in order and you wont have 18k invested in an 8k bike..

The following 5 users liked this post by uncle kebo:
0488FB (06-27-2018), BikerPepe` (05-28-2018), Huskers (06-26-2018), katanaplanet (06-26-2018), Veekness (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 10:22 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
The only advice I can give you is slow down with the mods..
A) Make the bike safe
B) Fix whats broken
C) Perform maint work
D) Season to take
E) Heavy mod is needed

My surprise is reading this is your first bike and you want Ohlins suspension - If you never rode why do you want that? Do you even need it... Slow down, go in order and you wont have 18k invested in an 8k bike..
Very sage advice. Just like any project, you gotta set your priorities. If the bike is rideable, take your MSF course, and start riding it. The one exception might be the bars...tall bars are probably not the best idea for a new rider...but finding out what it is about the bike that bothers you because you're actually riding it is important.

First bike...first Harley...and you're middle aged...I mighta suggested a small bike first, but I'm not gonna go down that rabbit hole, Just slow it down, one step at a time...

Old 05-27-2018, 10:29 AM
Fatdaddy2
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That doesn't look that bad, I think you can salvage the pipes pretty easily.
Just hand paint some stitches on the tank and ride on...

Old 05-27-2018, 10:31 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

As mentioned before.
Make the bike safe and ride it.
Safe could be several hundred if you still have the original tires or they are worn.
If battery is original then that could be another $150.
Purchase the service manual and read it. They are expensive but worth it.
Then replace ONE thing at a time.
By going slow you can search for used parts on e bay or this forum.
For example: Obtaining a used fuel tank in good condition and learning how to transfer internals should keep you busy.
If you start paying for a mechanic then you will have more money into the bike then it is worth.
Sometimes people get a bike and 6 months to a year into ownership they decide they want something else like a touring bike with bags.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:52 AM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Looks like you've got a good platform to build off of. Main thing with any build take your time and do it right. I have never built a bike but have done a couple of hot rods. First one I couldn't wait to get it done and it showed. Second one I took my time and it came out great.
kk

Old 05-27-2018, 01:11 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Note pad and a pen by your bed side. Write out the thought, let it go, get some sleep Otherwise you just spin it in your head.

Looks like a fun build, enjoy it

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Fever