General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in rain. Where do you draw the line?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 03:02 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Some good advice in this thread.

Form my perspective, don't be scared of rain. You can ride happily all day long in torrential rain if you dress correctly for it.

Gore tex clothing, boots and gloves should be your friends.

Rukka is the gold standard in clothing for serious all weather motorcycling.

Hi vis on the outside is helpful so others can see you better.

If it gets really bad, then find somewhere to pull over for a while. The serious downpours tend not to last all that long, but just plain old torrential rain can last all day.

Be hyper aware - because the people in the cars are dumbasses and they can't see as well as they normally can...

Old 05-23-2019, 03:09 PM
Settertude
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Along with the rest--stay dry and warm.
Carry a FF helmet with good fog control...its make all the difference in low visibility.
I also carry swimming goggles. All regular glasses will find water puddling on the inside.
Ya gotta be able to see stuff.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:30 PM
Fattmatt21
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by James Gibson
I am still in my first year of riding so I have a lot to learn. I have ridden in the rain a few times. The longest for about 45 mins before it stopped. The word I am getting from coworkers, friends, and family (some who ride) is that I am absolutely out of my mind for riding in the rain. So far it doesn't seem to be a huge deal to me. I mean, much like I do in my truck, I increase following distance, I am more cautious in turns, avoid puddles. I don't feel like I am about to die the way they make it sound. Am I missing something?
Hi James, good on you to take it easy, but sometimes tou just have to deal with it as we were in Austin NV and had to ride in rain and sleep for about 200 miles as there is nothing around to stop. Take it easy

Old 05-24-2019, 08:47 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I've been in 46 ot the 50 states and I'm ( pretty ) sure I've been wet in every one ... Still to this day I hate pushing the scooter out of the garage and leaving in the rain ... Once on the road it's ( rain ) just another part ot the "experience"
You got that right Larry...... I also find riding in the rain and staying dry is a matter of what language you speak ....

While “speaking” English....

While “speaking” German...

Last edited by CanadianRocky; 05-24-2019 at 08:48 AM.