General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Jackets

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 05:36 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Bopple Hill Rd
T I'm super frugal with most things, but when it comes to gear, I'm of the "buy once/cry once" philosophy. et.
I don't disagree with you. But will you be buying a second jacket if you buy one for $400 or 500? My foxcreek in 2010 was $350, now 500. Maybe there are some really cool features about the $8-1000 jckets that I am not aware of.

I do like how foxcreek is now doing leather lined holster pockets. Granted a pocket is about the same. Actually kinda need one if you handgun is smaller than the pocket.

Not crazy about the neck on foxcreeks cafe racer style, where custom would give me a bigger neck hole..

Old 10-23-2019, 05:41 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,203 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
I don't disagree with you. But will you be buying a second jacket if you buy one for $400 or 500? My foxcreek in 2010 was $350, now 500. Maybe there are some really cool features about the $8-1000 jckets that I am not aware of.

I do like how foxcreek is now doing leather lined holster pockets. Granted a pocket is about the same. Actually kinda need one if you handgun is smaller than the pocket.

Not crazy about the neck on foxcreeks cafe racer style, where custom would give me a bigger neck hole..
There are a few makers that will do custom cafe racer style for not a bunch more than fc. Im not knocking fc by any means, just saying there are options available for close to that price range.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:01 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 387 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk

That's a really good point and in answer to your question...it really depends.

After I bought the Langlitz I was of the mindset that I would never need to buy another jacket. The fit and workmanship is so great that there would be no reason. Then a brown Schott 125 came along...one that hadn't been manufactured for several years and I had had my eye on that model years earlier but couldn't afford it. It was exactly my size, (although not quite as perfect as the Langlitz), in fantastic, (almost new), shape and most importantly, the price was right...so I bought it. No regrets.

But I think you and I are on the same page...spend the big dough for a jacket like a Langlitz, Schott, Fox Creek, Hillside, etc. and the idea is to not have to do it again. And at this point in my life, barring any unforeseen misadventure with the jackets, I certainly will not be buying any more.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:53 PM
TracerBullet
Supporter
Received 5,203 Likes on 2,833 Posts

Originally Posted by fshaw
TracerBullet,

Is your bike Twisted Cherry Color? Nice, I'm thinking of painting mine that color.

Thanks.

Frank
it is.. the color was a big reason for me buying. I like it with the blacked out look.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:59 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 983 Likes on 470 Posts

Looking for a high quality jacket for next season that's reasonably priced. I have long arms (36" sleeve dress shirt) and need one that will cover wrists in riding position. Primarily interested in a jacket for colder weather with a liner that can be zipped out for summer. I'm looking for a traditional riding jacket with a center zipper and a 1 or 2 chest pockets along the lines of the Milwaukee Leather scooter jacket, dark brown would be a plus. What have you worn that you'd buy again for fit and quality?

Thanks.

Frank
Buy American Made. Hillside, Legendary, Foxcreek. Horsehide leather is a little tougher and quite a bit less porous than cowhide (doesn't soak rain anywhere nearly as fast) and is slightly warmer. It *is* stiffer though and takes a good deal longer to break in.

My Legendary jacket ( https://www.legendaryusa.com/Legenda...le-Jacket.html ) though needed no breaking in whatsoever. It's heavy but the leather is butter soft.

Here's the jacket I have now: https://www.hillsideusa.com/Brown-D-...LE_p_1052.html

The reason I went to the horsehide is, my bike is the only transportation I own and I needed a jacket that was even tougher and less porous than my Legendary. The horsehide from Hillside fit the bill. I'd had a horsehide jacket many, many years ago, but lost it during one of my far too many moves (it really bummed me out) and it's how I knew about horsehide being better against the rain and even slightly better against the cold than cowhide.

I gave my Legendary to a young, new-ish rider a week or two ago for nothing as I remember what it was like at that age when I got my first bike and had no money left for even hardly gas after I paid for it, heh. He was completely dumbfounded but grateful and even more grateful that it was made in America (one of the too-few young folk nowadays who actually has pride in our nation!).

Last edited by tar_snake; 10-23-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:06 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Unless racing, and going down often, how thick does it need to be?

As far as warmth I use it as windblock. Not sure how much different the R value really is between jackets

I am curious about Hillside, there prices still seem reasonable.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:23 PM
fshaw
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
it is.. the color was a big reason for me buying. I like it with the blacked out look.
Thanks for the reply. Beautiful bike.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:23 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 415 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Sherando
I got a First Manufacturing Vendetta from Revzilla. It's very warm, zip out lining and zip venting for warmer days.
Good choice!

Old 10-24-2019, 12:40 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Looking for a high quality jacket for next season that's reasonably priced. I have long arms (36" sleeve dress shirt) and need one that will cover wrists in riding position. Primarily interested in a jacket for colder weather with a liner that can be zipped out for summer. I'm looking for a traditional riding jacket with a center zipper and a 1 or 2 chest pockets along the lines of the Milwaukee Leather scooter jacket, dark brown would be a plus. What have you worn that you'd buy again for fit and quality?

Thanks.

Frank
My two cold weather jackets are a Fox Creek Commander which is very warm and a Milwaukee Crazy Horse, which is warm but not quite as much as the Fox Creek. Both excellent quality. The Milwaukee was significantly less money though ($340 less). Both fit well but the Milwaukee seems to fit my body better. The leather is a little thicker on the Fox Creek, 1.6 mm vs 1.4 mm, and you I can feel the weight difference. If it's not too cold I'll always reach for the Milwaukee first. The Milwaukee has vents (2 intake and 2 exhaust in the back) so it really a 3 season jacket..... the Fox Creek I have doesn't have any vents and I don't wear it if the temps are above 60- 65. Both have good quality zip out liners, but the Milwaukee liner is more plush. And both have plenty of pockets. For the money you'll be hard pressed to find a better quality jacket then the Milwaukee.

Last edited by JekyllnHyde; 10-24-2019 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:56 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,259 Likes on 6,015 Posts

Took a peek in my closet.... I have a leather jacket made by First. Bought at local Indy shop for around $100 back in 2004. Been warm and has worn well. I have since bought a korean version of a textile riding jacket, again back in 2004. Come to find out this is pretty weather proof, Surprising to me that it is warm (with a hoodie underneath) and pretty water proof. Paid $65 for this at a m/c swap meet. Still would like to have a guaranteed" waterproof, windproof high tech jacket for touring. But I have a closet full of stuff and it all works pretty well. But....to the leather jacket.... this is nice and heavy. I have treated with SnoSeal and it is still flexible, soft, and warm. Lots of great names out there, but take a look at some of your indy shops or local sales ads. Good Luck!!