General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F***in' Pothole...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 06:30 PM
AHVeil
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F***in' Pothole...

Some I'm riding along, minding my own business, and all of sudden this pothole--not all that large mind you, but nevetheless--jumps out at me. Shortly thereafter, I hear this "tinkling" noise from around/behind the horn area and/or left side when I get goin' again from a dead stop!What's in there that I could've knocked loose? Also, it doesn't seem to want to shift as smooth as it did before "the incident." WTF?

Just thought I'd share my unfortunate experience. Any idea what the problem could be? Nothing looked out of the ordinary when I crawled down there to take a look. I guess I'll find out soon enough, 1000mi. service is comin' up.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:48 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: F***in' Pothole...

It might sound like it's coming from there but did you bend the wheel and end up with a loose spoke rattleing around? Run a screw driver or wrench around yourspokes listening for a difference in sound.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:55 PM
ackackadak
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar "tinkling" noise that seems to be coming from my headlight. I haven't bothered to check it out as it hasn't seemed to effect anything performance-wise but could the bump have affected your headlight? That's about the only "delicate" item on your bike (relatively speaking).

Old 09-18-2007, 07:03 PM
mnvikingsfan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn potholes. I hit one last year in my Lexus with custom wheels. Blew my tire and dented the rim. Had to replace the tire and rim which set me back 2K....[:-]

Old 09-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

You should've called ADOT or the city. I hit a pothole on87 right at the Gilbert/Mesa borderon my 05 softail standard (spoked wheels)and ruined the front wheel. After calling Gilbert and Mesa, it was determined that ADOT was responsibile for that stretch of road since it's a state highway. I called them, they sent a claim form, I sent it back with two estimates and received a check 3 weeks later for the full amount. Between that and the tire and wheel coverage that came with the extended warranty, I got a set of cast aluminumwheels for $100.00 out of pocket.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:07 PM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Time2ride

You should've called ADOT or the city. I hit a pothole on87 right at the Gilbert/Mesa borderon my 05 softail standard (spoked wheels)and ruined the front wheel. After calling Gilbert and Mesa, it was determined that ADOT was responsibile for that stretch of road since it's a state highway. I called them, they sent a claim form, I sent it back with two estimates and received a check 3 weeks later for the full amount. Between that and the tire and wheel coverage that came with the extended warranty, I got a set of cast aluminumwheels for $100.00 out of pocket.
wow !
Thats a pretty sweet ending to a pretty $hitty experience. (c:

SB

Old 09-18-2007, 09:20 PM
dionne51
Road Captain

This may be irrelevant based on which bike you drive but my gas cap jiggles up and down slightly and I hear it when I hit small bumps and sometimes when taking off from stop during high engine vibration. Drove me nuts for a few days until I put my hand on it and it went away. I've since put a foam compression pad in there to create interference but will be changing the gas cap this winter.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:04 PM
AHVeil
Cruiser

Thanks Whaap, Ack, and others--I'll definitely consider your suggestions while attempting to get to the bottom of this...