General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC Helmet arrived today

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Arizona Flash
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ACC Helmet arrived today

I know there's been quite a few scattered posts about this, but thought I'd start a new one with more detailed information for those considering the Advanced Carbon Composites (ACC) helmets.

My novelty extended half in black candy with the chin strap snap (instead of D-rings), no ear flaps, no visor arrived today. Here are my impressions:

- GREAT helmet. Although not a DOT, this novelty is very well made and strong. I'm impressed.
- I measured my head just as the directions on their website directed and came up with 23 3/4". So, I ordered the "Large/XLarge" as the website's chart listed for 23" - 24". Remember this is the novelty helmet.
- The helmet arrived 2 1/2 weeks after I ordered it over the phone. Surprised me. They said it would take 4 weeks.
- They gave me a 10% discount because I said I was an HD Forum member.
- The quality is superb. Since it's black candy, you can see the fibers but not as apparant as the all natural. I like the color very much. Very deep glossy black with the fibers showing through The fiber lay-up is perfect and the finish is very glossy and error-free.
- The chin staps are well placed, straight and evenly spaced on both sides.
- The Y straps coming down from the helmet have some fore-and-aft adjustment capability so you can fit how the straps ride over/under your ears.
- The helmet is amazingly light. More like a hat than a helmet.
- The foam in the shell is right at 1/2" thick on the crown and 3/8" thick on the sides (the crown and side foam are different pieces, even though both fully and smoothly cover the entire inside.
- It came with some velcro pads to take up any space for custom at-home sizing. I took these out as it fits perfectly without them, although the pads would allow some nice air ventilation. Without any pads, the helmet hugs my head like a ski cap.

OK, looks and feels great. Very impressed. Now, let's ride...
- Feels like I don't have a helmet on at all. Feels more like a do-rag. Chin strap is the only indication I'm wearing a helmet. Can't see the helmet, can hardly feel it. Like this all the way up to about 60 MPH.
- At 60 MPH the helmet just begins to start "floating" on my head, slightly lifting from the air flow over it.
- At 65 MPH I can tell the helmet is now getting "light" on my head, but no issues whatsoever.
- The helmet gets "lighter" and "lighter" as I got up to 80 MPH where the helmet is now definately pulling against the chin strap. However, this is not an issue at all. Moving my head all around at 80 MPH, the helmet is still firmly on my head, not bouncing or buffetting. But the airflow definately is lifting the helmet. It did not want to ride back off my head at all, just lift straight up, but still felt secure.
- Stopped, tightened my chin strap some more to where while standing still it was definately tight, but not quite uncomfortable yet. Took it to 80 MPH again and the helmet felt more "glued" to my head. But, the chin strap then became uncomfortable. Much rather have a little "light" feeling than the tight chin strap.
- The chin strap snap feels OK to me as compared to the usual D-rings that are available if you ask. The snap is easier to get on and off, but you pay for that with a little more bulky system.

In conclusion: Great novelty helmet. In fact I should say "Great Helmet" because this is no cheap novelty. Maybe I just got luckey on the fit and quality, but if they are all like this, get one if you are looking for a head-hugging non-DOT. I have a full-face (great for the rain), an HD DOT Half (royally sucks on all accounts) and now this ACC "Head Trip Novelty Helmet". Sure, it's not a SNELL full face, but it's more protection than my do-rags while almost feeling the same. Sorry I don't have a picture to share, but it looks and fits ex

Old 10-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ACC Helmet arrived today

I can not totally confirm, HOWEVER. When I went to Orlando Fla and bought mine (Dot) version. They just picked it off the shelf and applied the "DOT" stickers after my test fitting.

Its My opinion that the ACC novelty helmet is the exact same helmet as the "DOT" approved helmet they sell just with out the extra price of having the "DOT" approved sticker attached.... ?

I've done a lot of thought on this an think that from a business perspective it would be great to make two versions, and have all your stock as the novelty and when someone orders the a "DOT" helmet you just stick it an sell it. So in actually they only make one helmet but sell one cheaper with out a sticker!

I think its a great helmet.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Psycho
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ram

I can not totally confirm, HOWEVER. When I went to Orlando Fla and bought mine (Dot) version. They just picked it off the shelf and applied the "DOT" stickers after my test fitting.

Its My opinion that the ACC novelty helmet is the exact same helmet as the "DOT" approved helmet they sell just with out the extra price of having the "DOT" approved sticker attached.... ?

I've done a lot of thought on this an think that from a business perspective it would be great to make two versions, and have all your stock as the novelty and when someone orders the a "DOT" helmet you just stick it an sell it. So in actually they only make one helmet but sell one cheaper with out a sticker!

The shell is a different size and the liner is different. They are not the same helmet.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:01 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Psycho

The shell is a different size and the liner is different. They are not the same helmet.
I confirm...I have both and the DOT is a bit larger with a thicker liner but is still smaller than any other DOT half I have seen and is still very light...I've found that I like the look and feel of the DOT the best mainly because of the metal snap in clasp

Old 10-20-2007, 11:17 AM
GrandpaSpike
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Have had 2 ACC helmets. Use their Polo model now. Only complaint is the shell liner came loose after about 6 months. Exact same thing happened to my son. When I contacted them, they said just send it back and they would fix it. Wish they wiuld make a 3/4.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:00 PM
spike95
Road Master

ORIGINAL: dp

Have had 2 ACC helmets. Use their Polo model now. Only complaint is the shell liner came loose after about 6 months. Exact same thing happened to my son. When I contacted them, they said just send it back and they would fix it. Wish they wiuld make a 3/4.
Once again, I say we all harass them until they do it.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: carpetride

ORIGINAL: Psycho

I confirm...I have both and the DOT is a bit larger with a thicker liner but is still smaller than any other DOT half I have seen and is still very light...I've found that I like the look and feel of the DOT the best mainly because of the metal snap in clasp
Well I was not sure that was the case, now I know they are different. I'm still glad that I've bought the "DOT" version, and I'm of the opinion the Non-DOT's are the best Non-DOT's on the market, based upon my experiance with the DOT version.

Thanks, for setting me straight..

Old 10-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Sandhog
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought an ACC helmet also,the DOT version.I trried the best i could and the helmet would take flight at any speed over 60mph.Ive tried any combinations of pads and head wraps/hats under the lid to no avail.The damn thing wont stay put.Ive tried tightening the chin strap to "choke" level and still the same thing.
I continue to wear my 1968 Bell 1/2 helmet with the big bux jobber sitting on the shelf.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Leonidas
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought a medium from them a few weeks ago (my head is 22 1/2" and wear med in other helmets) and when it arrived I could barely get it on my head, feels like a much smaller fit, even with the thinnest foam liner that came with it. Anyone have a similar experience on fit?

I"m sending mine back today for a larger size, can't wait to get the right one, just can't stand paying shipping twice

Old 09-23-2008, 12:02 PM
frankiefire702
Road Master

Originally Posted by Leonidas
I bought a medium from them a few weeks ago (my head is 22 1/2" and wear med in other helmets) and when it arrived I could barely get it on my head, feels like a much smaller fit, even with the thinnest foam liner that came with it. Anyone have a similar experience on fit?

I"m sending mine back today for a larger size, can't wait to get the right one, just can't stand paying shipping twice
I originally ordered a medium and it was way too small. Returned for a large and still doesn't fit quite right. Sending this one back too. I think I'm just gonna stick with my novelty for now.

Quick Reply: ACC Helmet arrived today