General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Chrome or Custom Chromer

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harley Chrome or Custom Chromer

I'm fixin to chrome my front lowers etc. I can get the HD front lower kit for a lot less than list. My question is, is a part that is triple chromed by a custom shopbetter than a HD chrome part out of the book (durability, appearance, luster)? Does it make much difference? I'm asking about the chrome, not the shop- assume a good shop.

KB

Old 01-18-2008, 07:30 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Harley Chrome or Custom Chromer

For the most part the HD part should have a pretty good chrome finish. As far as the custom shop goes, it can be hit and miss. It also depends on whether you want a second set of sliders which is what you'll get if you buy new from HD, or if you can live with the downtime while your stock units are being chromed. You'll also have to consider your own budget. If you can get the HD kit "for a lot less than list", then it may be cheaper to go that route.

Probably not much help here, just throwing out a couple of things to consider before making the decision.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:54 AM
4merRacer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most private chromers will triple chrome stuff. When in doubt simply ask the shop. I got my lowers from www.chromethathog.com along with swingarm, calipers, and wheels. No complaints!! My fork legs are a couple years and 10K + miles and still look GREAT!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 06:45 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I powder coat A LOT of new and used chrome parts. We media blast all parts as part of our prep work and when blast media hits any loose chrome, it causes the chrome to blister. Over the past 1-2 years I have been finding a lot of loose chrome on factory HD parts as well as Genuine Accessories parts. I'm not trying to bad mouth the MoCo at all, just passing along first-hand info.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:59 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

HD lowers areoften wavy from too little polishing before plating.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:41 AM
landest
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like a good paint job, it's all in the prep. If the part has defects in the copper or nickel plating priorthe chrome platingit will come back to haunt you later. Harley does a great job but remember that it is a factory process. A good custom chrome shop operator will check the hell out of a part during each step of the plating process (each part gets a lot of attention). Check the rep of the plating shop carefully. Custom chrome can be much better if done by someone with experience.

Hope this helps.