General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled the trigger on some handling mods!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 11:26 PM
spike95
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled the trigger on some handling mods!

After a lot of planning and research I have finally decided to get my bike handling like it ought to. I was all gungho to do an engine build on it (gear drive cams, heads, etc...), but I started to realize that the stock brakes and tires are barely enough as it is, much less with a 100/100+ build! Myfront brake sometimes feels like I can't squeezeit hard enough and the rear tire is extremely easy to skid in a hard stop. So I took the cash I had been saving for my build and put it toward this. I decided toupgrade my tires to Metzelers,floatingrotors, and Lyndallbrake pads. I'm also tired of the sometimes bouncy ride through hard turns and occasional bottoming out; especiallysince I wastold I have a compressed disk in my spine this week.Now I want to be super careful to not make it worse. I want to be able to ride into my old age.I decided on a set ofProgressive 422 rear shocks. I alsogot the Ride On tire sealant to put in my tires, so I don't have to worry about flats. I shopped around, and I feel like I got some pretty good prices on everything. I'll let you guys knowhow it ridesas soon as I get it all on. I can't wait to try it. Iam hopingit'll be a night and day difference making all of these changes at once!Here's my parts list.

Metzeler ME880 130/90-16 front $109.95+Free shipping
Metzeler ME880 140/90-16 rear$126.95+Free shipping
from ALOHA POWERSPORTS on ebay

HD Vivid Blk Floating Rotors P/N44357-00 and 44358-00 $95.12 each = $290.24+$17.00 shipping
from Zanotti www.zanottimotor.com

Lyndall Z Plus brake pads $42.00each=$84.00+free shipping
from seller 1500sectek on ebay

Progressive 422 rear shocks $349.95+$18.00 shipping
from americanclassicmotors on ebay

Ride On tire sealant (2 bottles) $29.00+$9.40 shipping
https://www.ride-onshop.com

[IMG]local://upfiles/32967/1208B62610554AFA907DBCDAAA76CD45.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32967/03AA604890294E6584E9515A87C1C7F6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32967/D2E55D5C7E934C3691AC49150BAA1DA1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-13-2008, 08:33 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts
Default RE: Pulled the trigger on some handling mods!

Very interesting to hear someone trying to improved a Deluxe like you are...would be one of my choices for a second bike. I had my bike down to the bare frame last winter and along with a serious motor went with Lyndal composite rotors, Sputhe engine mounts and aluminum swingarm and Bridgestone radials...the change was dramatic; a whole new bike in spring. It will be interesting to hear how much improvement you can get on a Softie...

[IMG]local://upfiles/32069/EF46CF96D3FB43D88143C958A6E33E76.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-13-2008, 08:43 AM
capt775
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spike, sounds like you have your priorities in order. I'm going to do the same mods on my Ultra when the time comes for tire changes. I'm happy with the engine like it is, I didn't buy it for a racer, but I would like better brakes and tires.

For my style of riding, the shocks seem to be fine too. I didn't even notice any of the ill handling problems last Summer when I went to the Dragon, so I don't think I'll be doing the RideStraight or any of those type devises, but then again, I don't push it hard. I'm not going to try to make it do things it wasn't designed to do. Would be like puttin saddle bags and a trunk on a Buell.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:26 PM
spike95
Road Master

sharkey, I would love to take mine down to the frame like that, but I'll probably never do it because the winters aren't that cold here, and I can't stand it when a nice day comes around and the bike is down. That's a lot of the reason I'm not doing the front springsright now too! More timeinvolved to change.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:44 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Other than the floating rotors you will be happy.My bike, RK is approx. 175hp 180+lb ft with upgraded suspension,an absolute thrill ride.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:33 AM
spike95
Road Master

ORIGINAL: dog155

Other than the floating rotors you will be happy.My bike, RK is approx. 175hp 180+lb ft with upgraded suspension,an absolute thrill ride.
dog 155,
What's wrong with the floating rotors? They don't make anything worse do they? Even if they don't provide that much improvement for straight line stopping, I heard they are better for when you are flying into a sweeper. Also, I like the way they look. How did you get those insane HP/TQ numbers? I'm guessing it's at least 120" with a blower or nitrous?

Old 03-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: spike95

dog 155,
What's wrong with the floating rotors? They don't make anything worse do they? Even if they don't provide that much improvement for straight line stopping, I heard they are better for when you are flying into a sweeper. Also, I like the way they look. How did you get those insane HP/TQ numbers? I'm guessing it's at least 120" with a blower or nitrous?
curious to know about the rotors too , as I have those same ones ready to install w/some other mods.
fwiw - aside from the brakes upgrade; the susp/tire upgrade (both ends)really is a night & day difference.
don't forget about the front end too.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: capt775
For my style of riding, the shocks seem to be fine too. I didn't even notice any of the ill handling problems last Summer when I went to the Dragon, so I don't think I'll be doing the RideStraight or any of those type devises, but then again, I don't push it hard. I'm not going to try to make it do things it wasn't designed to do. Would be like puttin saddle bags and a trunk on a Buell.
You mean like this? http://www.buell.com/en_us/bikes/adv...t/features.asp

[IMG]local://upfiles/18443/B62973CE407B4C9A8AC2610C9690B53C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-14-2008, 02:25 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: spike95

ORIGINAL: dog155

dog 155,
All the floating rotors do for you is allow them to expand and contract as they go through heat and cool downs from braking. By allowing them room to do that instead of being all one piece, they are less likely to warp. At least that was how they were explained to me. Nothing was ever said about them being higher performance as far as stopping you. The fact that they are designed to give a little seems logical that you may actually give up a little when it comes to stopping - but I'm no brake engineer.

I must have the right bike or I'm not riding it hard enough because I have no issues with the handling, stopping, or accelerating for that matter. But, if you got the cash, more power to ya.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:35 PM
spike95
Road Master

2007fxdx,
I would expectyour braking to be better just because they are the same brakes on a muchlighter bike. Also, it is well known that Dynas are much better handlers than softails. I'm trying to make the most of what I've got to work with. As for the floating rotors, I was told that their pupose is not just to avoid heatwarping. When you are flying into a turn, there is a certain degree of flex that can happen in the wheel, axles, etc... This can cause the rotor to no longer be in proper alignment with the pads. That means that only a portion of the pad is actually pressing on the rotor. With a floater, it allows the pads to grip with their full surface even while flex is occuring. Someone please jump in here if I am wrong.

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on some handling mods!