General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SYN VS REG OIL??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYN VS REG OIL??

Not trying to be a smart ***. I spent 20 years in the Navy working on diesel engines, and to tell you the truth, we never changed the "dino" oil. We purified the impurities out of the oil, changed filters, and monitored the oils viscosity. When the viscosity dropped to low, we either sweetend the oil (added new oil), or changed oil. I have wittnessed engine failure running on synthetic oil, and it is for the reasons I stated. I also worked on gas turbine engines running synthetic and understand the oil design and purpose, which was not internal combustion.
this is an old argument and not worth fighting. All I can say is "choose your poisin". If you choose synthetic and end up with a loud knock in your engine after a few thousand miles, don't say I didn't tell you so!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:32 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So this is just your opinion? Did you look at the thread I included above? Or just search "synthetic and petroleium oil tests". You will find every scientific test using proper controls shows the superiority of synthetic oil. Unfortunately I cannot remember the book written about it but there was an article in Walneck's Classic Cycle magazine a few months back.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:37 PM
landest
Road Warrior

One more question: when you tore down a given engine that experienced "Catastrophic Failure", what in particular pointed to the Syn oil as being the root cause?

Just curious.

Not fighting, just want to understand.

Thanks

Old 04-22-2008, 09:39 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

This is getting boring, lets move on to Mac VS PC now, O.K?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

Barjbar,
In terms of "lubricating properties" and "thermal breakdown", synthetic is superior to dino oil. I would never argue that. The fact that it doesn't burn in the combustion chamber is my rant, and I can tear down any internal combustion engine running on synthetic oil and prove it! You can believe whatever you wish. Synthetic is geat for what it was designed for, it just wasn't designed for internal combustion engines. The problem is, most people don't put the miles on thier machines or keep them long enough to find out the results of running synthetic oil. All the high mileage bikes I'm familiar with are running, and running, and running, on dino oil. Cheaper and better. What better argument is there?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:46 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless he has a degree in chemistry and automotive engineering, I'd say wild guess? I don't mean to offend a fellow Harley owner but to post statements as though they're fact based simply on your personal opinion is careless. If all these engines are failing and we live in the most litigous nation in the world, why hasn't anything come of it? No proof, no lawsuits, no recalls, no nuthin'. If you have proof of this, Geoffrey Feiger is waiting to hear from you. Mobil 1 has been out 30 years. And I agree, this post is beginning to get boring.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:52 PM
landest
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: barjbar

Unless he has a degree in chemistry and automotive engineering, I'd say wild guess? I don't mean to offend a fellow Harley owner but to post statements as though they're fact based simply on your personal opinion is careless. If all these engines are failing and we live in the most litigous nation in the world, why hasn't anything come of it? No proof, no lawsuits, no recalls, no nuthin'. If you have proof of this, Geoffrey Feiger is waiting to hear from you. And I agree, this post is beginning to get boring.
Well, hold a minute. I assume that Geoseismicasked the ownerof the bad engine what kind of oil they were using and came to this conclusion over time. I remember the old service days when we did sampling as he speaks of. Just want to know the entire story. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and observations.

Just not sure I agree with this one.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

Unless he has a degree in chemistry and automotive engineering
Well, I do have a degree in chemistry, but I don't have a degree in automotive engineering, though I have worked on internal combustion engines for over 20 years. I personally will place experience over education any day, that is why I will not try and support my argument through chemistry. If you don't trust my experience, WHO GIVES A CRAP!!! KEEP RUNNING SYNTH IN YOUR ENGINE. PUT 100,000 MILES ON YOUR BIKE AND TAKE IT IN FOR A TEAR DOWN INSPECTION. IF IT LASTS THAT LONG, AND ASK THE MECHANICS OPINION. Leave the professional work to the professionals. Leave the sales bullcrap to the salesman.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:33 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

50,000 miles on a 93hp 97ft/lbs motor and no "catastrophic failure" lol running amsoil in all 3 holes

Old 04-22-2008, 10:33 PM
q2bruiser
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: oldfartjc

I have always usedHD 20W50 Dino oil and see no reason to switch. As far a running quieter on Synthetic, I've been told it actually runs noisier by a couple of different people due to synthetic being thinner. I don't plan on switching and I don't change oil except at the recommended intervals as it's just a waste of money to change every 1000 to 1500 miles. I also live in hotter then HELL Phoenix and I don't run an oil cooler, so I guess I must be doing everything wrong. LOL
Syn oil is not thinner or thicker than processed dino. A 10w-30 syn is the same as a 10w-30 dino. They are measured the same ... a 30 weight at 100 degrees. Additionally, oil is thinner at temp than it is when cold.

JKH

Quick Reply: SYN VS REG OIL??