General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please with ecm

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:24 AM
shepo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help please with ecm

Hi, SERT / ECM PROBLEM WITH 07 SOFTAIL!

I have been trying to install a SERT map and have the following message; "ECM HAS A BAD CALIBRATION OR OS" "THE ECM MUST BE REPAIRED BY YOUR DEALER BEFORE THE TUNER SOFTWARE CAN BE USED".

Now, the engine will crank, but, there is no fuel pump pressure and it will not start.

Anybody experienced this problem and fixed it themselves? FYI my dealer is over 30 miles away and I have no way to transport the bike.

I apologize in advance knowing this is in the wrong area, however, I am hoping I may get a faster response posting this thread here.

cheers, shep.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:38 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just remove the ECM then take it and the SERT to the dealership. My guess would be the SERT is not married to the ECM. If it was previously married to it then, I believe, they can reset the SERT to allow you to remarry it to the ECM. You should then be able to load the calibration and the bike will run fine.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:46 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Im still in the dark with Harley's but learning quickly. The reason that your fuel pump is not pumping, If it is ecm related, Is because it is not receiving a signal to pump.
with computerized electronic ignition, the computer must read signals from different area's before it gives the thumbs up to launch. If it cant see oil pressure, it might shut down the fuel pump to save the engine.
Are you sure that every sensor is hooked up & operating properly? Have you changed the ecm because your bike would not start & you think it is the culprit?
Can you phone the dealer & ask if a computer has to set a code into your new part in order to set it up?
Im shooting in the dark here but I have had this bull s#@$ with newer pick ups, The last one was a crank sensor not communicating with the computer.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:41 AM
shepo
Advanced

Everything was working fine until I connected the ECM via the SERT cables to my computer. I was following the SERT Manual on pages 16 & 23 to log the ECM ID codes prior to up loading a new map when I got the error message. I will call the dealer tomorrow and see if it is possible to program the ECM if it has been removed from the bike. Whereabouts is the ECM computer located?

shep.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:57 AM
shepo
Advanced

I can't believe I just said "Where is the ECM computer located?" I am having a very bad day ... shep.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:20 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you will get er dialed in buddy, keep us posted!