General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 03:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What is the fastest stock Harley and how does it compare to the speed of a sport bike?

Some users feel that the V-rod is faster than a 600cc sports bike, while others think the sports bike are faster. Users will break down the differences in the engine and give their opinion of which bikes are fast and why.
Print Wikipost

Fastest bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Leonidas
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
It's 2 different worlds and to be honest, 2 different attitudes towards riding. No doubt there are Harleys that can launch real hard for 60' but it takes a bullet bike that long to start stretching its legs and this is only the beginning. To me, these bikes can be ***** cats if you have the patients to hold them back. However, for those of us that own them we know only to well they are high strung, love RPM and flat beg to be turned and flicked. I will however say you are very likely to find many sportbike owners that kind ride them for squat. This fact alone brings out the Harley owner that says I blew off a sportbike today.
I hear ya, the suspension of a sport bike is naturally upset when not on the gas... it's uncomfortable to ride when not on the throttle (it's a race bike.... designed to be under constant throttle) it is torcher to ride one of these bikes and not let it 'stretch it's legs', that's why mine only lives for track days now... I love my king, i'm not tempted to wheelie it, break the barrier of sound, or drag knee around every corner i find... The king is just real cool to cruise around at the speed limit and sound bloody beautiful doing it

Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 PM
Leonidas
Road Master

Originally Posted by mcrider1
How many of you guys that think some of these HD's can run with these sportbikes have ever ridden a new sportbike?
Zero.. If they had they wouldn't be making delusional comments like that

Old 03-31-2009, 08:45 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Who cares about sporbikes and going a 150? Not me, I bought mine to tour and cruise and it does it better than any other.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:14 PM
Leonidas
Road Master

Originally Posted by gunner11
Who cares about sporbikes and going a 150? Not me, I bought mine to tour and cruise and it does it better than any other.
"Like the title says, what is the fastest STOCK Harley and how does a Harley compare to the rice burners."

obviously the poster who started this thread cares, that's why he asked, not trying to be a smart *** or anything, but you asked

Old 03-31-2009, 09:19 PM
txtec
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tryed

cant blame me for trying can ya???

Attached Thumbnails Fastest bike-timeslip.jpg  
Old 03-31-2009, 09:35 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leonidas
"Like the title says, what is the fastest STOCK Harley and how does a Harley compare to the rice burners."

obviously the poster who started this thread cares, that's why he asked, not trying to be a smart *** or anything, but you asked
I didn't buy mine to go the stinking speed limit. I bought it and the others I have owned to do everything but go the speed limit and now I live in a place where it doesn't much matter. I have a clean record and I am very careful about where I chose to cut things loose. This doesn't make it right but then again as long as I don't involve the public in my acts of mayhem that's the best I can do. Tracks are cool but I could never get used to going around the same turns over and over. The thrill and unpredictability of the backroads is my heaven. On the other hand it's nice to slow down and enjoy cruising the Harley too. Simply put, different tools for different jobs.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:38 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by txtec
cant blame me for trying can ya???
What are you worried about? You cut a sweet light and posted a great time while you were at it.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:41 PM
txtec
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
What are you worried about? You cut a sweet light and posted a great time while you were at it.
that busa blasted me before i got my feet on the pegs,but yea it was funny.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:50 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gunner11
It's not about going 150mph although there are those times. It may be about that fancy yellow sign that reads 25mph and you're indicting 70mph. It could be about a sweet rise in the pavement where you know the front end will pull 10" off the deck for 50' while you ride it out and set it down dead smooth and perfectly natural. There are so many things sportbikes offer and they do things so naturally it can be the rush of a lifetime in some skilled hands.

When I lived in California a friend of mine that works at Skip Fordyce Harley Davidson in Riverside called me up because he wanted to buy a sportbike. We went shopping and he picked up a 2002 ZZR600. He had been on Harleys for years but never a sportbike. I followed him home and when we got to his place he had all sorts of things to talk about. He wasn't ready for how fast the bike reacted to small inputs and the feedback to him was scary. Well duh???? Yeah, you feel everything the road has to offer and these bikes can be a workout but they are also a buttload of fun and slabbing it isn't where it's at....

Old 04-01-2009, 07:18 AM
BWLucky13
Road Master

A fully tricked and tuned big twin on a racing frame is slower than a 600 cc water cooled, 4valve, 4banger in similar tune. So yeah, it is like comparing apples and water mellons. But, I'm not planning on doing any racing on the way to work with that soil auger hanging out of my travel bag. And, my gal wouldn't ride on a sportbike. When I find a better bike than a Sportster, I'll buy it. Oh and yes, the 883 is way too fast.

Quick Reply: Fastest bike