General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife went down

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 06:12 PM
backpeddler
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Wife went down

Wife decided she did not want to ride on the back anymore. So she signed up for the Harley class. At 5'2 she was somewaht inseam challenged for many bikes. While waiting for the class to start she sat on many different bikes. The one that fit her and she felt comfortable on was the 1200L. The dealer said the sporty trade in deal was just extended a week. So figuring if she passed she had her bike and if not we would trade in for a new bike for me in the next year.

The class begins and wife is doing great. I take her to the school and get her familiar with parts of the bike as she has never been on a bike before. She aces the written and on the day of the riding test the class does some exercises before taking riding test. The last exercise was swerve around an object. She does it no problem but the instructor wants her to get more speed and try it. Well she gets the bike going pretty good and panics and hits front brake. She goes down and ends up bloody with a busted up hel;met, cut across her nose, 2 black eyes, road rash oon her chin and knees and a pulled ligament in her ankle. The instrcutor asked her if she wanted to continue. She declines and a classmate takes her clean the blood off her. Wife drives herself home and when i get there she lloks like she had been a victim of domestic violence. She blames herself for the fall as she knew better than to front brake but panicked. Now she is not sure she wants to ride. That will be up to her.

What ticks me off is 2 woman in her class called to see how she was doing. Now its over a week later and the dealer or instructor has never called to ssee if she is OK. I stopped by the dealer on Friday and the salewoman who sold her the bike comes over and says so hows it going. Wrong thing to ask. I said wife went down hard in class. Sales girl had no idea. I believe she didn't know but like I said to her. We spent money on a bike, class and accesories and you guys were all over us. I even went to her manager and complimented the facvt they had a woman there and it was great for woman who wanted to buy a bike. But when my wife gets busted up they don't call? She apologized and said she was going to call wife and talk to her. That was 4 days ago.

Now we are not looking for any recourse it was driver error and their riders edge papers you sign say take at own risk. No problem. Just can't believe they did not call after her fall.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 252 Posts

"Wife went down."

That's a... uhhhh... well...

Hope she's alright.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:19 PM
botz723
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear hope the wife heals well and jumps back in the saddle, As for the dealer peeps....I just dont know what to say...sounds like theyve given you a reason to look elsewhere with future purchases.. Best wishes and a speedy recovery for the wife.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:26 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, you and her will need to just move on. She does need to learn to use the front brake because these bikes as well as any other need the front brake to make stopping easier. Chalk it up to experience. As far as the "no one seems to care" attitude at the dealer, well, I think you could find that attitude in many places. I hope she's alright and just chalks it up to experience. That is the way things are learned and those "tough" lessons usually are the ones that stick. Ride safe....

Old 05-03-2009, 06:27 PM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope she heals OK. Personally, I don't want my wife riding a scoot. It's very dangerous these days, and I just don't think she could handle a bad situation. The instuctor should have called, but probably has seen many take spills, and it's just another day.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:32 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As I understand your post,you/your wife bought the bike she was going to ride in a BEGINNERS course?....the beginner courses around here supply the bikes.Nothing bigger than a 250CC....NO ONE,especially a petite female,should ever take a BEGINNERS class on a 1200cc bike....JMPO...hope she heals ok and continues to ride....

Old 05-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry to hear about your wife. Like the previous poster I was surprised to hear your wife used her own bike. Riders Edge usually provides Buells which are a lot smaller and lighter. From your story it sounds like the instructor may have rushed your wifes training a little, but I wasn't there so I don't know that for sure. Hope she recovers quickly and doesn't give up.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:39 PM
UltraJim
Cruiser

Hope she is doing good and getting ready to get back on.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:40 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope your wife heals up fine and chocks it up to experience. As far as the instructor, well he's a *****.
Ron

Old 05-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Vatorman
Tourer

Sorry to hear about your wife.

Quick Reply: Wife went down