General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ballpark figure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:44 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts
Default Ballpark figure?

I posted this in the Panhead section but want to get as many opinions as I can so I'm putting it here also.

OK all you pan guys. I've been riding for allot of years and my first Harley was a Pan. Lately I've had a bug up my butt to get another but have not been actively pursuing it.

Just got a call from a co-worker of mine and he is in a bar in NY and met a guy that's got a 55 he's wantin to sell.

I had him send me this pic of it and I briefly talk to the person that owns it.

Owner tells me he's had it for 35 years and it's a strong running 1 kicker. He says it's puttin out about 96 inches. I will be passing through the town the guy lives in next week and plan on stopping to have a look.

As much as I hate this kind of questions on this Forum I'm asking for input as to what you think a ballpark amount would be for this Scooter?

I know I haven't provided much info but assuming it is solid mechanically. I'm no concerned about the cosmetics right now. Base on the picture I kind of like it the way it looks.

Here is a link to the only picture I have right now. http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/e.../55paninNY.jpg

When I asked him what he was looking to get out of it he said around 10 Grand which to me sounds fair but I haven't kept up with the Pan market so for all I know it could be high could be low.

Any input would be appreciated.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:23 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,274 Posts

The link to the picture isn't working. Take a look at Walnecks cycle trader: http://www.walnecks.com/ to see if you can get any comparisons. I don't know the first thing about panheads but 96 inches? My Dad's shovel is 74 cubic inches. If that pan is really that big I'd be a little worried. Sounds like too much top end on not enough bottom end. I would want something a little more stock but thats just me. My opinion on price? If it was bone stock I'd say he could get around $15k for it. If he's asking $10k and it's been modified I'd try to slide in somewhere around $8k but that's just me.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:33 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Yeah, from everything that I hear a 55 Pan should bring way more than 10k. Be careful and really check it out. Hope that it is JUST what ya been loking for!

Old 07-01-2009, 08:06 AM
coltsfan
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
The link to the picture isn't working. Take a look at Walnecks cycle trader: http://www.walnecks.com/ to see if you can get any comparisons. I don't know the first thing about panheads but 96 inches? My Dad's shovel is 74 cubic inches. If that pan is really that big I'd be a little worried. Sounds like too much top end on not enough bottom end. I would want something a little more stock but thats just me. My opinion on price? If it was bone stock I'd say he could get around $15k for it. If he's asking $10k and it's been modified I'd try to slide in somewhere around $8k but that's just me.
That is alot of cubic inches for a PanHead, but if it is worth $10K to him he could always get a new motor if he had to someplace up the line.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Picture not working. Panhead motors are bringing around $5000 alone. $10k ain't bad unless it's missing a lot of parts. Priced that stuff lately?

Check with Gumby, he is finding good deals all over MN, maybe he has his eyes on a good Pan. He can give ya an idea of what it's worth, too.