General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with used 2007 Harley Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 06:41 PM
ScottCocoaBeach
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with used 2007 Harley Purchase

I am a new rider and have a 2004 Sportster 1200R that I am really enjoying. However, even with a windshield I find I am getting a bit beat up on the highway and would like a little bigger bike for longer rides. I bought it from a private seller and it looks like I can recoup 100% on a trade.

I found a 2007 Street Bob with about 5k miles on it that I can get an incredible deal on. The previous owner started some mods that didn't turn out so well so there are some things I will need to fix. The item I am most concerned about is that they put on pipes with no place for the 02 sensors and in fact completely removed the sensors from the bike. It seems to run fine and the sales guy said he talk to a mechanic about it to make sure there would no problems. It's out of warranty but I can make the changes I want over time and I can't afford a new or even most used bikes except this one.

Things I think it will need: Better pipes and stage one kit, perhaps new O2 senors?
A front fender - will order right away.

There is some rust and scratches on the fender and some scratches on the tank so I will just order a primed fender and repaint or powder-coat the tins.

Handlebars- need change right away.

What might have been changed when they removed the 02 sensors and how this might affect my upgrades and cost - fuelpack or powerback, etc. I'm new to all this so any help is appreciated!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 PM
ScottCocoaBeach
Advanced

Wow - 23 view and no responses? I did some searches on 02 sensors and I am now thinking the bike may have a PCIII or similar installed with O2 eliminators? For those of you in the know does this sound likely?

I am a lot less worried that these are gone based on what I have been reading. I'll see what kind of deal they work out for me tomorrow and maybe I will be riding the street bob home!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:17 PM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

A PClll will not use the O2 sensors, look for the sensor plugs behind the voltage regulator and near the upper part of the rear pipe.

I would bet a Power Commander is installed with the plugs in the connectors.

I believe the bike wouldn't run well at all without something to indicate to the ECM that the sensors were there - at the very least it would be throwing codes.

Last edited by joe.1955; 07-23-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:32 PM
ScottCocoaBeach
Advanced

Thanks! They are aftermarket pipes and there are definitely no O2 sensors installed in the pipes as there is no place to put them. The pipes are LOUD and the bike seems to run well going around the parking lot. I will try and get the seat off tomorrow and see if I spot a PCIII or similar.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:37 PM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Not sure on your bike, but my PClll is under the ECM on mine (behind the fuse block cover).

Looks like you've already got your stage 1.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:46 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

Try to get the org owners name and give him a call if U can, some answers there maybe.
might also have the stg 1 already.

Here some advice on this forum.

Lots of different areas to read & learn from in here.

(What’s the best?) Kind of questions have been answered 100's of times the search feature will get U most answers, or Google it.

If you can’t find the answer, start a thread in the CORRECT SECTION area.

From Indy

Old 07-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Crossbones
Road Master

you can check your aircleaner to see if its stock or not, if stock then you only have a partial stage 1. sounds like you have straight pipes installed, but if the bike isn't popping on decel then your a/c might be a higher flow and you could have some fuel management system too, to handle the increased flow. the street bob will definitely be more bike for highway runs, but may not have the same HP as the sporty. depends on what you're looking for in the ride, smoother highway runs if you do alot of that or jetting around town. if you're able to steal the bob before you put too much time and money into a bike you might flip anyways, you may want to go that route. an a/c and fuel management system will probably run you about $400 at least for parts, that coupled with bars, fender, paint, etc. can add up quickly. good luck and keep us posted on how it turns out.