General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone know how to wire a zummo 660?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:00 AM
dlcx2dlcx2
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know how to wire a zummo 660?

I have just come back to Harley after not owning one for the last eighteen months. I just picked up a 2010 Ultra Classsic limited. I purchased the new Zummo 660 GPS as part of the package. When I arrived to pick up the bike, there was a "wad" of wires wire tied behind the unit. After some discusson they put all these wires inside the fairing. They now have one jumper wire coming out the bottom of the fairing and plugging into the aux imput in the radio. As they were tying all the excess wire into the fairing, I saw all the imputs that are coming off the main power cable. I asked how these worked and how they should be accessed. Their reply was "we don't know." This is the first 660 they have installed and they told me I would need to contact Garmin for any information. Incidentally, this is the Harley product that is made by Garmin. Anyway, I called Garmin and they tell me after an hour on the phone, they made the GPS, but the wiring harness is made to spec for Harley and they don't have any information on the wiring such as how it should be routed, accessed, or used. I know someone out there has this information. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have about $900.00 in this unit and it will be great if I can figure out how to incorporate all the functions into the Ultra's system. Right now all I have is a GPS and an MP3 player. I can get the phone to ring through the Ultra speakers, but it will not transmit voice because of no mic imput.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:20 PM
shawnc
1st Gear
Default bomm

I have not purchased anything yet, but I'm about to in the next week. My understanding is that you need to invest another $100 into the bomm...

http://home.comcast.net/~jbissonette1/site/

Old 10-07-2009, 09:08 PM
takiniteasy09Ultra
Tourer

Mind if I make a recommendation? Let the harley shop install it. It increases the warranty an additional year.
When I bought mine, they charged me two hrs labor. Well worth the price for the additional year and I didn't have to fool with it.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:37 AM
shawnc
1st Gear

Originally Posted by takiniteasy09Ultra
Mind if I make a recommendation? Let the harley shop install it. It increases the warranty an additional year.
When I bought mine, they charged me two hrs labor. Well worth the price for the additional year and I didn't have to fool with it.
You really didn't read his post very well, considering he had the HD Dealer do the install and they did a half *** job. My dealer in northern VA, is the same way, "ahh, yeah, we don't know what to do, I hear it works" is the BS comments I get from my HD dealership. People don't care anymore, because they barely get paid enough to show up to these jobs to begin with...

"takiniteasy09Ultra" question for you... Can you use the stock Harley Davidson wired headset to talk on the cell phone when you are using the Garmin bluetooth and Cell phone bluetooth? Still retaining the ability to intercom and CB? If so, who at your dealership did the installation, and what is the number to the dealership..?

Otherwise, I'm awaiting feedback from this BOMM creator, as for it my be the answer to my issues...

Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 PM
takiniteasy09Ultra
Tourer

Davis in Burlington installed mine. Did a nice job.
The phone thing I cannot answer. I don't use my headset and I definitely would not try to use the phone and ride at the same time. I think that's asking for trouble. But that's just me.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:10 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The phone is connected via Bluetooth wireless to the Zumo. You need a Bluetooth capable phone, and a microphone setup. There should be a 3.5mm microphone plug on the wire harness, and a 3.5mm output plug to connect to the stereo unit aux. If you did not get a manual with your setup, go to Garmin.com and download the .pdf manual file. I seriously doubt that the wiring harness is different from the Garmin vs HD Zumo product. Also check out Zumoforums.com

Old 10-13-2009, 10:40 AM
dlcx2dlcx2
3rd Gear
Default Update on Installation

I have now spent countless hours on the phone and internet as well as contacting numerous Harley dealerships. The bottom line is that the Zummo 660 is way ahead of Harley on technology. You can install the Bomm and that will incorporate the mike in the headset so you can talk through the mike and back into the phone connection. However, there is still no set up to incorporate the the whole system into the Harley radio system without having a wire running to the front of the radio and plugging into the aux. input. With the wiring harness that comes with the Zummo, it would not be hard to plug all the wires into the output and inputs in the Zummo wiring harness and connect the Zummo with the Harley system completely clean and out of sight. For some reason, Harley is just not interested in doing this. Some how this really doesn't surprise me. Until something else comes along, I'm going to just forget the phone connection and keep the wire from the Zummo plugged into the aux port. I love the 660 and have no regrets about buying it, however, I am really disappointed that Harley will not let it work to it's full potential.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:12 AM
shawnc
1st Gear

dlcx2dlcx2 - I completely agree with you in regards to Harley being COMPLETELY behind in regards to making this solution work seamlessly, and the dealers truly don't know jack $H!T when it comes to these solutions.

The phone usage is VITAL to me, as for I ride daily, even when it is 20 degrees outside, and I would not have even dared to purchase the Garmin without knowing that the phone would work...

The BOMM requires you to slice wires that go into the back of the Harley radio, which is uncomfortable none the less, but required to use the stock Harley headset for cell phone, intercom, CB... You have to use the rocker switch from outside speakers to headset to retain privacy on your cell phone conversations. I have read and understand that if you don't want to use the BOMM and you don't care about intercom or CB, you can sync your phone, and then sync a bluetooth headset, which is nice because there are no wires, but then NO CB, NO intercom... and it cost more, because when you buy your Harley you get one set of headphones, and good quality bluetooth headphones that adjust volume automatically with wind noise cost $300+...

NOW in regards to your REAR AUX input, there is a solution, and it makes me nervous, because it is more cutting and soldering and I have not tired this yet... Maybe this weekend?!?

Read this...
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.p...ic=10044.0;all

Take Care,

Shawn