General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone been to MMI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 06:02 PM
SpaceCoast Harley
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sitting in their Harley course now. Thought their basic training was bad this is more of the same. Instructors who can't make it in the industry. Time consuming tasks of just looking up accessories to take time. Flat out stupidity.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

turining wrenches aint a career unless your bikes are winning lots of races. get into nursing or the internet. everybody gets old and everybody loves ****.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:20 PM
dyna105
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Certainteed
turining wrenches aint a career unless your bikes are winning lots of races. get into nursing or the internet. everybody gets old and everybody loves ****.
+100 !!!!! It's not long and all the funs gone from turning wrenches.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:08 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SpaceCoast Harley
Sitting in their Harley course now. Thought their basic training was bad this is more of the same. Instructors who can't make it in the industry. Time consuming tasks of just looking up accessories to take time. Flat out stupidity.
fill me in......what exactly is your experience....the reason I'm asking is I'm looking at taking the same course but I would have to pay for it myself and I can't work while I'm taking it (being an international student) so there is a hell of a chunk of change for me.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't train there, I did however do all the low voltage electrical in the building when it was first built.
I know many of the instructors there as friends. Some are very good teachers, others not so much.
Personally, I think it is a waste of time. You will most likely not earn the money to pay for the education. You pay a lot for a low paying 'career' that sucks the joy out of your passion.
(I was offered a position as an instructor there a decade ago to teach electrics, I know I am not a patient teacher and it didn't come close to paying what I was making in the career I was in at the time. I declined the offer.)
DeVry, MMI, Massage and Al Collins are all good ways to be parted with your money for little to no opportunity to recoup.
You would be better off just getting a gofer job at a shop and learning otj. You won't be making much money, but you won't be paying thousands to learn it. (And you will learn more that way.)

Old 03-18-2010, 06:56 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Moog Player
I didn't train there, I did however do all the low voltage electrical in the building when it was first built.
I know many of the instructors there as friends. Some are very good teachers, others not so much.
Personally, I think it is a waste of time. You will most likely not earn the money to pay for the education. You pay a lot for a low paying 'career' that sucks the joy out of your passion.
(I was offered a position as an instructor there a decade ago to teach electrics, I know I am not a patient teacher and it didn't come close to paying what I was making in the career I was in at the time. I declined the offer.)
DeVry, MMI, Massage and Al Collins are all good ways to be parted with your money for little to no opportunity to recoup.
You would be better off just getting a gofer job at a shop and learning otj. You won't be making much money, but you won't be paying thousands to learn it. (And you will learn more that way.)
You got it right Moog Player. Especially the part about sucking the joy out of your passion.

I went to MMI in the 80's and worked as a tech for a few years. It didn't take long before the joy of riding started to wane. It came back after I got out of it and wasn't bustin my knuckles every day on bikes.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:12 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I started one of those prior threads looking into it for the benefit of my son. Then we called to check the cost (try that and see how much pressure they put on you), then checked a shop in town.
> Negatives against about 9 to 1 on forum, looks like yours running about same.
> Very high cost IMO for what it is.
> Not too crazy about "Dad" coming to scope the place out unannounced.
> Job market did not seem to great either, as others stated.

Having said all that......I think if someone has a real passion, seeks out the better teachers and goes he/she could probably get their foot in the door somewhere quicker then apprentice for awhile and do well in time. However that select group would probably do well with or without MMI. Just my long winded $0.02

Old 03-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Skullman
Tourer

Went there from 1988 to 1989. Phoenix school. Crazy times

Old 03-18-2010, 09:41 AM
matt25
Road Captain

there are two that i know in my small town that work at a dealership makeing 12 bucks a hour. kind of sad for the ammount of work they do.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:38 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullman
Went there from 1988 to 1989. Phoenix school. Crazy times
That's when i was there. Did you know Rocky? Had a saweeet lil OL named Rose.

Quick Reply: anyone been to MMI?