General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone been to MMI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 12:04 PM
SpaceCoast Harley
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have stated this alot and this is directly to DinoVelvet. Do NOT spend your money. I am only sticking with it as my money is already spent. Their concern is on whether you are there not on what you learn. I have seen students leave here who still cannot adjust a clutch or do anything else. They are passed along just to get their cash. Total waste. Look at Wyotech or other schools.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:22 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

as another said, get into nursing. There's a nurse in the CA prison system that made over $250k last year. Nurses are in demand now, and even more so in the future. You might even meet a good looking Doctor on the job. If I was young, that's what I'd do. No charge for the $.02.
The Doctor is in............

Old 03-19-2010, 01:20 PM
red69camaro
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An HD mech told me a couple of years ago that the thing he hated most about working for HD was he'd never be able to afford one.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:03 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

The guy who wrenches on my bike went to MMI a few years ago. For what he spent, he got minimal skills and a low paying job. Definitely not worth the money.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:11 PM
ultrat
Road Master

Yep got more out of Space Camp.....

Old 04-16-2010, 01:44 PM
SpaceCoast Harley
Intermediate
Default Goodbye aMMI

After 36 weeks and recieving several Awards I am leaving MMI early. My job has changed not allowing me the time anymore and after continuing to watch MMI pass total idiots just to get their money I also feel my money was not well spent.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:05 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

well looks like I will be re thinking my options.......maybe a tech school around here then.

Apparently there is a place where I can spend 2 days with people who test an individual on their apptitudes to find appropriate vocations, maybe that will open some doors to careers I haven't thought of yet.

Old 04-16-2010, 03:36 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regardless of the training involved, doesn't seem like a good time to be getting into the business? Bike sales are way down across the Country, and Indy's (and H-D dealerships) are closin up all over the place...I know a bunch of good wrenches who've changed fields just to make a livin'...

Just sayin'...

Old 05-09-2010, 09:19 AM
SpaceCoast Harley
Intermediate

Sent an email to Harley Davidson University Registar with my concerns since HD strongly supports this school. Read my email and the answer below.

To: HDU Registrar
Subject: Concerns about MMI Orlando
I am writing this email as I am an Avid Harley Davidson owner and I know that HDU reps are in Orlando this week.
First of all a little background on myself. I am a manager at a large IT corporation, 45 years old and currently own an 02 Lowrider and an 04 Heritage. I wanted you to know that I am not just a kid when I start to describe my last few months at MMI with you.
I started MMI in Aug 09. My goal is to prepare myself for a fun business as I get older and eventually leave the IT rat race. This past Friday I withdrew from MMI after 36 weeks of training, 6 weeks after starting the HD program. White atending MMI I received several Student of the Course Awards include in HD Tech 1 and maintained a 4.0 GPA. During my first 4 weeks of the HD tech training I completed every one of the online courses offered by HD while in class along with completing my in class exercises. So I gave this school my all!
MMI is no longer the school that many people describe it as. This school is all about collecting money from students whether they can really perform the tasks or not. After 36 weeks we still had one student in class, James Lombardo, who cannot perform a basic oil change. In tech 2 he would run all fluids into one drip pan and then fill the cases until they overflowed. He could not figure out a ratio rite to measure the correct amounts. Mr Hibbs, Chief instructor of Tech watched this nightly and did his best to not pass this student but the rules of MMI made him give James a 75. This has happened several times during the 36 weeks. What is happening is students are getting through strictly so MMI can collect their money, training is NOT important.
In Clinic 4 (Electrical) we had HD labs on all of our sheets and received two beautiful HDs while we were in class. The instructor, Mr Shirshak would tell us to cross out the HD portions on the lab sheets as this was only there for HD to think they were teaching on HDs during the Basic program.
So after 36 weeks I had to withdraw. I couldn't give anymore of my money away to a school that strictly wants to pass people just to collect. I am also afraid one of these people will someday work on my bike and get me killed.
Harley really needs to talk to the students of MMI not the instructors and staff. There are some really good instructors that would love to tell HD the truth but they are scared for their jobs. I saw 3 get fired in my 36 weeks.
If you would like further contacts I can provide you names and phone numbers to students still in the school that would love to tell HD what is going on.
Thank you for your time

Answer from Harley

I would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention. Unfortunately I was already back in Milwaukee when I received this email. Normally during our visit we focus primarily on the HD courses but this time, coincidently, I had a chance to visit clinic 4. Your letter confirmed what I suspected and I have asked for a review of all MTP courses, not just clinic 4. HD will be implemented throughout the MTP program to receive equal time with the metric brands. There are a few people there I trust to tell me the real story but in the past I have not had the cause to ask the questions I am now asking. Every time I go to any of the MMI's I take at least an extra day to speak to all of the theory and HD courses on all shifts and while not always politically correct, I tell students what they need to hear. If the grades drop below about 95%, it will be tough to get into a shop. We want the best of the best. I am sorry for your experience, but would thank you for stepping up and doing the right thing. It will make a difference for future students.
Thanks,
Gary Pelot
Harley-Davidson University Leader-Technical Learning & Development

Old 05-09-2010, 10:04 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Checked into MMI for my son, thought the cost was high but if truly a challenging and qualifying school grads should come out with skills that allow them to be excellent mechanics. Skills not only applicable to HD's but many other disciplines if they so chose.

Unfortunately have read and heard far too many stories of what MMI considers passing and it is a shame HD still pushes as their school of choice.