General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 10:49 PM
dhutchison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to do, what to do?

I'll warn you now, that this could be lenghty. Don't feel obligated to read all this crap. I'm more/less thinking out loud, but any input would be great. I'm fairly new to the General HD chat area. Most of my time has been spent in the Touring Section. So, for those of you who may not be familiar with me, I own a car/motorcycle dealership. It's a family business that my Grandfather started in 1960, my Dad has been here since 73, and took over in 81 when his father passed. I grew up in the business and have been here since 1997 when I graduated. Dad took it to a certain level since 81, likewise I've taken it to a different level with the introduction of used bike sales, internet buying and selling, etc. We're a small dealership doing about 4.5 Million in annual sales. That's no big number compared to some places, but still a heck of a lot of work for 2 people. Small business has changed over the years, and not for the good. If you run or work in a small business, you know what I mean. Expenses are way up, and profit is way down. I'll spare all the details, but recently I have been thinking about going to work for someone else. Good help is so hard to find. It's an old statement, but so very true. I'm to the point that I'd rather be that good help to someone who will compensate me well, than try to do my job along with everyone elses. I've mentioned it to my Dad, but not to anyone else. Out of the blue today, the owner of 4 H-D dealerships calls me up and asks me if I would be interested in being a "Floating General Manager" for his stores. My home store would be the one closest to me, and I would travel to a couple other stores on days when their GM was off. It sounds like a job that some would trade their left nut for, but I'm kinda wondering about the future of H-D in general. Like I said, I'm just thinking out loud. I'm pretty sure H-D isn't going anywhere. Much the same as GM or Ford hasn't. The EPA is an old issue. H-D has just held off longer than the car companies have. Granted it may come to a liquid cooled something or other, with little ability to modify, but it will still have that H-D name. The new Camaro will be out next year, and it will be nothing like the 1967 I restored in high school. GM will still sell a pile of them though. In fact I want one myself. There may be a year or two in there when H-D has to work some kinks out, but I have faith that they will come out with a new "Z06 Vette" kinda bike. It's hard to think about leaving a 46 year old family business. It's also hard to think about spinning my wheels in that same business just for sentimental reasons. At 27, this is a killer opportunity. Possibly one that could put me in the owners seat of my own H-D dealership in years to come. I sure miss the days when the biggest choice I had to make was what I was going to get into on the weekend. What to do, what to do?

Old 07-28-2006, 10:55 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What to do, what to do?

Have you spoken with your Dad about your plans? You might be surprised at how supportive he may be.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Branded
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a tuff call to make. Sounds like you need to sit down with dad and have a serious talk. Your a young man and have a long road to follow. You have to do what most of us dont get to do and that is what makes you happy. Its more than just making money.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:15 PM
dhutchison
Tourer

ORIGINAL: DGlide04

Have you spoken with your Dad about your plans? You might be surprised at how supportive he may be.

He knows a change is coming. Just not sure what yet. I know he is behind me, whatever I do, but I also know he really wants me here. However at this point, I think he may end up working somewhere else too, and slow down a bit.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:57 PM
Mood Swing
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FRAT!

jk

Do it man,your still young,and it sounds like a cool gig.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member

Working for a larger company can have some advantages. Insurance is a big one that comes to mind. And then there is the job itself, GM holds a lot of responsibility and from what I have seen at the large company I work for, the more responsibiliy the more guns you got pointing at you. A GM can be a tough but very rewarding job. If I were in your shoes I think I would try the GM job but not without having a heart 2 heart talk with Dad. Besides, He has kept it giong for 25 years and worked there for many years before that. It could hold a very sentamemntel place in his heart. Whatever you deside I wish you luck and hope you prosper.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:17 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

I am a firm believer that the right answer will prevail. It will be exciting either way. In sales there is never a dull moment. Good Luck and keep us posted as to what you do.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:37 AM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

floating GM for 4 dealers? dude- that would be a great job. HD isnt going anywhere, any time soon. hell- theyre just about FORCING a dealer here in PA into either building a super store OR not renewing their dealership agreement.

what about not completely leaving the family business? a couple hours a day... weekends maybe?

just my $.02

Old 07-29-2006, 12:44 AM
dhutchison
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Sanford

If I were in your shoes I think I would try the GM job but not without having a heart 2 heart talk with Dad. Besides, He has kept it giong for 25 years and worked there for many years before that. It could hold a very sentamemntel place in his heart.

It's not a decision I have to make soon. He's talking a couple of months after he closes on his newest store. This place does have a special place in both my and my Dad's heart. Unfortunately with expenses surpassing 40K a month, and no way to cut them, it doesn't leave either of us much choice. We have to work 3X as hard, to make 3X less than we used to. It makes Alan Jackson's song, "The Little Man", really hit home. The banks with higher interest rates, prices of fuel, insurance, shop supplies, etc, along with new car dealers decreasing supply of trade-in's they will sell. Makes for a tough market that has no signs of changing. All the big companies are increasing their profits, while the small companies struggle to keep their head above water. It's a sad situation, not only for me, but for several of the other small dealers I've talked to in this, and other areas. As little as 5 years ago, either one of us could go to a couple different new car stores and buy 15-20 quality trade-in's each. Now everything is either junk that they all take to an auction, or they keep it for a "credit line" or "buy here / pay here" lot. I appologize for "ranting" over my situation. Unfortunately, I work so much now, I have few friends left I can talk to. The big "perk" of taking time off whenever you want, by running your own place is a thing of the past. HDF is my "escape" from work, and pretty much the only place I have left to blow off steam. Thanks for all your replies, and those to come. I'll be sure to keep you posted on what happens.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:50 AM
dhutchison
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Domestic Violence

what about not completely leaving the family business? a couple hours a day... weekends maybe?

just my $.02

It's a great idea. One I tried when I worked for the Sheriff's Office. However, due to DMV regulations, I can no longer work in Law Enforcement and hold a Salespersons License, or hold more than one Salespersons License. I couldn't survive off of a Deputy's pay, so I had to quit a job I loved. I can't work for an H-D dealer, and this dealership as well. That's kinda my problem. Everywhere I turn, there is another road block. I'm running out of options to keep it going. [:@]

Quick Reply: What to do, what to do?