General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tach speedo combo issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
When I first got my bike I really wished for a tach to go with the FXDC's tank-mounted speedo. Saw these on the forum and figure that's the best solution as I have a GPS mounted centered above the bars. But after I got used to the bike I must say that I rarely think about it, and probably won't do it because of such a high failure rate.

Especially w/ the 6-speed a gear indicator would be even handier than a tach. And I cannot see the 6th-gear indicator in broad daylight but, again, the more miles I put on, the less I am concerned; perhaps a different LED color might have worked better.

Pretty nifty spoiler; I've never seen one before. Wondered if you made it or bought it? When the wind angle is just right I will get some momentary eyeball-jumping turbulence at high speed. Wonder if a venturi lip might be effective.

Except for trick lenses, that is without a doubt the most severe distortion I have ever seen on a camera lens. Can you tell me what brand?
It's a Laminar Lip, universal cruiser sold by width to match the width of a windscreen near the top.
The camera was my Iphone.....and tho the distortion is wild, overall, the pics from the phone are not at all bad, expecially since it is not a dedicated camera. A really cool feature I only recently began using is sending pics taken by the iphone along with text messages....you know, "a pic is worth a thousand words."

Old 07-05-2010, 03:33 PM
07 dyna man
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

steve, icant believe the texas heat didnt do your tach in, you must have gotten a good one

Old 07-18-2010, 01:03 PM
07 dyna man
Tourer

well i went to the dealer with my tach issue, well the guy who handles all warrenties says to me when i told him that i bought it in may 09 he says its out of warrenty and that he was going to have to call harley inc. and see what he can do. so he goes into my purchase history and it comes up that that i bought it in may 2010 so i said no thats wrong . so we went back and forth a couple of times and he starts getting mad. so then i said your right i bought it in 2010 so to make a long story short im getting a new one for free. lmao!!

Old 07-18-2010, 01:34 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a speedo/tach on both bikes. Never had an issue. Glad they are giving you a new one to replace yours. When I bought mine neither one of my HD.s was plug and go with the speedo/tach. I had to find the tach lead and move it into the plug. Real pain because it wasn't clearly covered in the manuals or instructions. I was searching color codes.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Cellular
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the $299 digitalspeedo/analogtach. Looks good and works fine except a little moisture forms under the glass while driving. Dealer says Harley says there are holes in back and there is nothing to do about it.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Smug
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had issues with mine. Tach needle works fine, it's the speedo needle that acts up and sticks when the face warps. At 500.00 bucks, it's certainly SUCKS BIG TIME !!!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:10 PM
07 dyna man
Tourer

Originally Posted by Smug
Have had issues with mine. Tach needle works fine, it's the speedo needle that acts up and sticks when the face warps. At 500.00 bucks, it's certainly SUCKS BIG TIME !!!
dont you think at 500 bucks they should be built alittle better if its not 6months since you got it take it back, if it is take it back and see what they can do for you

Last edited by 07 dyna man; 07-22-2010 at 07:12 PM.