General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me or are all the black out bikes....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 02:29 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I don't think the trend is black, but more like you said...blacked out. Everything goes in phases. When bikes became all the rage for those with money, bright eye catching billet barges were "what was in". Now those pansy bikes have lost popularity as the money sect has bailed and the anti billet crew is taking over. I myself love black and chrome, but I don't much care for blacked out bikes, especially when you try to call it old school. But thats just me. When I look around I see the next trend going baggers. In all styles from blacked out ground pounders to mega flash cruisers. I just think as the modern biker crew has started to realize the uncomfortable junk heaps that OCC passed off on the rich folks, has helped enough people to want more comfortable bikes. And the bagger sect will be "whats next". JMHO.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:32 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like black bikes they are everywhere and I am glad everyone has them. It allows me to stand out of the crowd.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:51 AM
chevy94ss
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally like my vehicles to be somewhat "blacked out". From my '94 Chevy Impala SS to my '06 Civic Si to my '08 Nightster. Just personal preference for me I guess. Call it jumping on the bandwagon or whatever, I like my vehicles black.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:00 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

i liked blacked out bikes and black bikes, would only buy a black bike i think!! i dont like arlen ness vomit style paints on a bike!

Old 07-27-2010, 04:20 AM
eisterd
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luv_my_harley
I think chrome is very nice on a bike, but I do not want to be the person cleaning it...black is a lot easier to take care for me. Plus black and chrome mixture looks good together.

What other colors are there? I guess we could leave heat shields off the pipes and then they'd be that goldish, blue, red color...that'd add some color!
I don't think chrome is any harder to keep clean than black.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:05 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 462 Posts

Hmm, could say the same thing about chrome-******. Nothing new under the sun; it's all been done before.

Just do what you like; it ain't my bike so I don't care if you have no taste, little taste, or plenty of taste.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:44 AM
lanceo70
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love black bikes...they are what turns my head. I'm one of those who think chrome is boring. I see a lot of bikes that just look like they just got rolled off the showroom floor. whats special about that. But what do I know...I think chrome looks better after you hit it with some 400 grit or better sandpaper.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:00 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

It's by no means new.Like everything in lifes cycles.Everybody wants to be on the band wagon,until it is saturated,then most want off.Not all mind you,black will always be a favorite to the hardcore,me included.Never was one for the fads or ever tried to keep up with the Jones.Like what I like, and know how to get it.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:11 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eisterd
I don't think chrome is any harder to keep clean than black.
I think it is easier to keep my chrome clean and shiney than it is to keep the black on my motor clean and looking like new.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,628 Posts

You know the saying - "once you go black..."

I'm with luv_my_harley on this one - got tired of cleaning stains off the exhaust & polishing. Still working on alot of powdercoating, but black's pretty much wash & dry w/an occasional wax to the tins. Bought mine vivid black & plan to pretty much turn it into stealth mode for night riding...maybe even call it Kit & get a cool red cyclops light on the front???

Quick Reply: Is it just me or are all the black out bikes....