General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is in your tool kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Adirondacker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is in your tool kit?

I am putting together some tools for a kit to keep on my ride.

I was wondering what are some of the things you keep with you in case you need to make a roadside repair.

Having a '81 Shovelhead, I figure it may come in use.

But what should I have in it? In addition to some wrenches and allan keys, do you keep a spare spark plug, oil, any other items? Do any of you keep a first aid kit?

Old 08-26-2010, 10:36 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I carry electrical tape, allen wrenches, 6 & 8 in cresents, about 6 ft of 14 gauge wire,wire stripper, wire nuts, el cheapo multimeter from radio shack, and the old reliable and savoir, some vise grips. If that don't get'cha home, way more help is needed. These are just my personal tools I bring along. I'm sure I've missed some more revelent stuff. As far as anything else, plugs, I guess you could, but personally, never had those factors leave me dead on the side if the road. If you bleed, just lick it off and ride on.!!

Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 08-26-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you serious? Tools again? Open and closed end wrenches, short stubby ones that don't take up too much space and a couple three regular size ones. Bunch of allen wrenches. Get it, allEn. Loctite. Wire. Multi screwdriver. Ratchet and about fifteen sockets, maybe more. Rag. Leatherman, good quality one. But all the tools are good to excellent quality. Don't need cheap tools when out on the road. Fuses, bunch of sizes. Matches. Don't know what they're for? And I think that is just one side of the bike. I ain't going outside to take them out again. Bandaids and antihistimine for stings. But I keep bandaids in my wallet too. Use them alot. I don't think I've used my bike tools but once or twice on the road in over twelve years of carrying them and it wasn't my bike that needed them. Go ahead break down. I'll have what you need to get you going again. When I go on road trips I'll take a pair of sparkplugs but have never needed them for myself or anyone else. Spark plug wires too. Kept stock ones and figured who knows? Fix a flat. Worked three out of four times. Tire pressure gauge. Harley 90 degree angled one that works well. Electrical tape and some wire. Brains drained, can't think of anything else but I know it's there.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,023 Likes on 17,513 Posts

12 & 6" crescent , assorted combo wrenchs 2 ea. , long stats or needle nose ( these can be real handy ) 4in1 sc. driver . Ball Allen set ( must have ) Spark plugs & socket , 6' wire & small roll black tape , small test light & leads , 2-3' bailing wire , 6" vise grips is the average roll with a small assortment of hardware like nuts & bolts ( common sizes ) and extra of any small clips & snap rings ( shifter linkage ect. ) in a baggy and I've got a little 1/4" hex tool kit with drivers for allen , torqs , sockets up to 1/2" you don't see there .

For me I always carry an extra pri. belt , mines been modded so I can change it on the side of the road and be gone in 15mins , I tend to a bit hard on them

Oh ya the flashlight strapped to the frame is real handy changing that belt at 2 am .

I've used the tool kit 2 twice in all my years for my bike (aside from the belt changes , my fault on most anyway ) but a bunch for helping others in trouble .

Good sense and 99% of the time if your ready you'll never need it , Have fun

Attached Thumbnails What is in your tool kit?-100_0755.jpg   What is in your tool kit?-100_0754.jpg  
Old 08-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Trojan Magnums and a ball-pein hammer.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:36 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wire zip ties. Don't need nothin' else.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:59 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,405 Posts
Arrow +1 on the flashlight

Those little led flashlights are a must in your toolkit.

"Its better to shine a light then curse the darkness" Don't ask me how I know...

Old 08-27-2010, 05:50 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I carry a folding allen wrench set, folding torx wrench set, set of short handled wrenchs, vice grip, multi-bit screwdriver, rag, tire guage, lock, multitool and pocket knife in my tool bag.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:41 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Here is my tip of the day. Cut a piece of cheap garden hose and slip the end of the already gapped spark plug electrode into it. You can get a garden hose that fits it almost perfectly. If the hose piece is cut long enough and the hose is cheap enough, it can be folded over and placed over both ends to protect the insulator and the electrode. If the hose is to stifff and wants to unfold, put a piece of tape around it. You now have a gapped plug with protection that can withstand damage by tools battering it in your tool kit much better than the box it came in. It really doesn't take up any more space than a boxed plug and it's better protected.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:52 AM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000
Here is my tip of the day. Cut a piece of cheap garden hose and slip the end of the already gapped spark plug electrode into it. You can get a garden hose that fits it almost perfectly. If the hose piece is cut long enough and the hose is cheap enough, it can be folded over and placed over both ends to protect the insulator and the electrode. If the hose is to stifff and wants to unfold, put a piece of tape around it. You now have a gapped plug with protection that can withstand damage by tools battering it in your tool kit much better than the box it came in. It really doesn't take up any more space than a boxed plug and it's better protected.
or buy one of these, might be easier:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...dFamilyId=3049

Quick Reply: What is in your tool kit?