General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raw gas out exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 07:38 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah... well I've been riding Harley for over 44 years and I have yet to shut off a fuel valve. Go figure... Lucky I guess...

Charlie D.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:46 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just read through all the details.

Bad plugs not burning gas completely will lead to gas dripping from pipes. Attempts to start a motor that doesn't spark will keep sucking raw gas into the cylinder and out the pipe, even flooding the cylinder and allow gas into the oil.

Careful too this can lead to a backfire explosion in the pipes!

I would have started with a check of the air filter. After a bike sets and the oil pools into the bottom there can be a "belch" of oil pumped into the air filter. A couple of times of this and the air filter can become saturated to the point the bike fouls it plugs from a lack of air flow. Poor idle is another issue.

Even if the float was stuck that excess gas should spill out under the bike off the carb overflow tube. The only way I see it getting into the pipes is if there was a massive flooding inside the carb while setting, and it couldn't run off through a plugged overflow tube. Those tubes can get filled with crude at the end and not allow it to naturally flow out the overflow tube.

Perhaps the issue was dirt in the carb and a poor air fuel mixture prompted the issue.

I would definitely consider draining the tank and pulling the petcock to observe the filter sock and see how much contamination is in the tank. You may be surprise at what you see.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Just read through all the details.

Bad plugs not burning gas completely will lead to gas dripping from pipes. Attempts to start a motor that doesn't spark will keep sucking raw gas into the cylinder and out the pipe, even flooding the cylinder and allow gas into the oil.

Careful too this can lead to a backfire explosion in the pipes!

I would have started with a check of the air filter. After a bike sets and the oil pools into the bottom there can be a "belch" of oil pumped into the air filter. A couple of times of this and the air filter can become saturated to the point the bike fouls it plugs from a lack of air flow. Poor idle is another issue.

Even if the float was stuck that excess gas should spill out under the bike off the carb overflow tube. The only way I see it getting into the pipes is if there was a massive flooding inside the carb while setting, and it couldn't run off through a plugged overflow tube. Those tubes can get filled with crude at the end and not allow it to naturally flow out the overflow tube.

Perhaps the issue was dirt in the carb and a poor air fuel mixture prompted the issue.

I would definitely consider draining the tank and pulling the petcock to observe the filter sock and see how much contamination is in the tank. You may be surprise at what you see.
He said the bike ran fine before the symptom occurred, eliminating the bad plug theory. To get raw fuel out the tail pipe while cranking would require an awful lot of throttle twisting and accelerator pump discharge into the intake manifold.

If the air filter could possibly get that saturated from motor oil, the engine would have run poorly....as if the choke were on. The oil would settle to the bottom of the filter, it would still breathe from the top and sides giving little to no indication the filter had motor oil on it...other than the drip from the bottom of the air cleaner cover.

If the float was stuck the fuel would NOT run out on the ground. The EPA frowns on gasoline on the ground and the carburetor vent hose was deleted in either 1999 or 2000. On carburetors with no overflow tube the fuel level rises into the venturi and into the manifold, if the intake valve happens to be open....into the cylinder, past the piston rings and into the crankcase. The carb is on the right side...the bike leans to the left on the kickstand...helping the fuel through this journey.

I agree, check/clean the petcock filter, R&I the carb disassemble/inspect and clean, install a carb rebuild kit, including a float valve kit, maybe a new slide diaphragm just to renew the rubber. Check the float level adjust if necessary. And learn how to turn off the fuel petcock letting the float hang in the bowl for overnight and long term storage.

Tech23

Old 10-23-2010, 12:44 PM
len_atwork
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder too how much effect that loose screw had on things? If it allowed a vacuum leak to exist that could also cause some problems.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. It's nice to know that there are still people who will help a stranger solve a problem.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:30 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tech 23 ... all good to know.

Back to the evo corner for me ... lol

Old 10-23-2010, 02:48 PM
BHBlacky
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ain't reading more then the first few posts but I agree with Scootertramp.
If it hasn't been said yet drain your crank oil. It's probably contaminated with gas.
If so it sounds like the float sticking(common enough, filters don't get everything) and flooding past the rings etc.
The pipes get hot cause you got fuel burning in there son. Not good. This would occur with the cylinder getting flooded and your cranking and cranking and the gas going out the exhaust valves and accumulating in the pipes.
FYI, blue white smoke = oil burning. Seals if it clears up after a minute, rings if it doesn't.
Black smoke is fuel!

Blacky

Old 10-26-2010, 08:28 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scootertramp
You're lucky you haven't had this problem before. There is a reason there is an off position on the petcock. If raw gas came out the exhaust you'd better change the oil cause fuel leaked past the rings and into your crankcase. Shut the petcock off. It might have been a stuck float but either way that kind of stuff happens when you allow fuel to the carb when not in use.
There was a day and time for turning the petcock to the off position every time you shut the bike down... that day and time has really moved on with the lingering memories of ghosts past. With the advent of the vacuum system for fuel flow, there no longer is a need to shut the petcock all the time... no vacuum - no fuel flow. Personally I have not shut the petcock on my '03 Fatboy once in 76,000 miles... no problem yet.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:43 AM
MGN54
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Does make me wonder if I have a vacuum shut off problem. Need to do the test that was suggested now that I have a regular hose clamp on the fuel line. Would like to see if it is shutting off via the vacuum. But, I figure that a turn of the petcock when I park it in the garage till the next ride won't hurt. I don't ride the bike everyday so I'm going to try to get in the habit of turning it off when I roll up to the garage and burn off some gas in the bowl while I get her parked. I either had a stuck float or piece of chit in there that didn't allow that needle to seat for some reason. This will be added assurance that maybe this won't happen again.

Thanks again for all the help/tips/suggestions everyone. Will report back after next ride to close this chapter of....."As the Petcock Turns". LOL

Old 10-26-2010, 05:06 PM
MGN54
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Update #???

Just got back from about a 30 mile run and the bike is running GREAT! She started from dead cold/full choke with a quick jab of the starter. Let her run about 10 secs on full choke and then shut it off. Geared up and off I went.

Stopped for soda after just a few miles. She restarted with one jab again. Noticed that idle was a little high I thought. (I had adjusted it up just a bit after first test run) Then ran her on a mix of conditions including about a 5 mile stretch at a sustained 70 mph. She was purring! Throttle response is smooth and steady at any speed and she wants to get up and go! It's always hard to tell in these cases but the butt dyno tells me she is starting/running better than I can ever remember her starting/running...pick up is excellent, no popping or sputtering on overrun. Feels strong.

I adjusted the idle back down a bit when getting her back in the garage. I don't have a tach so not sure where she is at..just going by sound and feel but I think I'm close right now. Anxious to run a little more of this tank that I put some seafoam in off before refilling and checking mileage. Will report that finding next. Right now I'm a happy camper. Just hope the mileage hasn't gone down the crapper as that wasn't anything to write home to momma about before this all started.

Oh...and yes, shut the fuel off and ran a little gas off before shutting her down till next ride!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:48 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a vacuum diaphragm on my 98 wide glide go bad leak gas. No way I will ever trust that diaphragm by itself. Petcock is too easy to turn off and remember to turn back on. Your bike and I believe in letting people do what they want with their own bikes.
Originally Posted by handyhoward
There was a day and time for turning the petcock to the off position every time you shut the bike down... that day and time has really moved on with the lingering memories of ghosts past. With the advent of the vacuum system for fuel flow, there no longer is a need to shut the petcock all the time... no vacuum - no fuel flow. Personally I have not shut the petcock on my '03 Fatboy once in 76,000 miles... no problem yet.

Quick Reply: Raw gas out exhaust