General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any idea on how long it takes the factory to deliver a bike once it is built?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for input everyone. I don't want to bug the dealer too much as he doesn't have any control over it, just antsy lol. Like I said I'm not sure if they load up a 18 wheeler with like 25 bikes and then make pit stops all over the place so that it might take a few weeks to be delivered even though really only an over night drive.

White Glide...I'm sorry if I sound naive but what does DAC stand for?

Old 11-03-2010, 02:18 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Hope you get her soon, PD! I know you've been anxiously awaiting.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:46 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toooooo long when your waiting for it hahahaha

Old 11-03-2010, 03:00 PM
jthom33
Road Master

Here's hoping to a speedy and uneventful delivery!

Old 11-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BOBBEREVO88
Toooooo long when your waiting for it hahahaha
Absolutely and when you are racing against time before ole man winter arrives like I am each second is an eternity lol

Old 11-04-2010, 11:06 AM
WhiteGlide
1st Gear

Port Dawg

Sorry for the confusion, DAC stands for Deptarment of Army Civilian. Other wards I work for the Army as a civilian. I have 29 1/2 yrs moved 6 times and worked in 4 countries. Thought a 6 month tour in Iraq would be cool. DUH, what was I thinking. LOL! Didn't know Balad was called Mortarittaville until after I got here. Oh well I am retiring June 2011, but it was a good roll.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

Ok thanks for clearing that up...I was thinking Defense Area Counsel?

Oh yes..Balad did not get that name for nothing lol....guys I know who returned from Kandahar said it is the same deal but worse lol

Hey the pay is good and you are heading into cooler weather.....although with that comes the rain and MUD....but judging by your experience I don't have to tell you that!

Stay safe and keep that battle rattle close by!

Old 11-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
Hope you get her soon, PD! I know you've been anxiously awaiting.

Thanks! You know it lol...it is killing me to keep reading threads by folks saying "Hey new SG,RG,Ultra ect in the stable" I'm happy for them but now it's my turn lol

My dealer should have the paperwork today so the RK should not be too far behind....getting cold here to boot!

Old 11-04-2010, 03:07 PM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

This is the way I believe it works. The MOCO does not special order any motorcycles for dealers or inventories. All orders are placed by a franchised dealer with the factory on a cycle of 4 times a year (about once per quarter). You can not go to a dealer and special order a bike with all your add-ons added on at the factory. The factory builds each model pretty much alike for simplicities sake. Before a couple of years ago, the factory had their own fleet of delivery vehicles. Now, they use private carriers to send out inventory. Every quarter of so a dealers number comes up and all the bikes he ordered are batched together and sent on one truck. Some large dealers could conceivably get an entire truckload on their delivery day. Once the truck leaves the factory it takes 5-10 days to complete delivery. If you order a bike overseas I believe your bike will be batched with a dealer close by your shipping address. All bikes are crated up and sent in cardboard boxes on a metal palet. Dealers unload the bikes with a forklift and stack them until they are ready to uncrate and prep for the sales floor. It is at this time that any special chrome or accessories are usually added on. Somebody who currently works at a dealership will probably come in and tell me if things have changed.
Thanks go out to any and all of our military troops. I hope you can all come home and ride soon.