General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you have bought a Harley if...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 07:40 PM
louisianaSVT2001
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love many things about the Harley.. The heritage, design, the lack of plastic junk covering things, and the V-twin. Although if it was not a V-twin I still would have bought one.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:53 PM
hig4s
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
Sure, I'd buy a Harley if it wasn't a v-twin. Harley's original motor was a 1 cylinder, and most of the board track racers preferred the 1 cyclinder as opposed to a v early on.
Harley also made an opposed twin ala BMW, and has put it's name on quite a few other motors as well.

But I hear ya on the v-twin. When Indian invented it, it became the essence of american motorcycle soul.
From 1901 for Indian and 1903 for Harley first motorcycles were, single cylinder engines..Glen Curtis invented the V-twin in 1905. Curtis also made the first V8 motorcycle and set a land speed record of 136.36 mph in 1907. Indian produced a V-twin in 1907, Harley's first V-twin was 1909. In 1917 they both introduced horizontally opposed twins, 6 years before BMW. But neither was popular in the US.

Last edited by hig4s; 11-30-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:01 AM
RamAirThree
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hig4s
From 1901 for Indian and 1903 for Harley first motorcycles were, single cylinder engines..Glen Curtis invented the V-twin in 1905. Curtis also made the first V8 motorcycle and set a land speed record of 136.36 mph in 1907. Indian produced a V-twin in 1907, Harley's first V-twin was 1909. In 1917 they both introduced horizontally opposed twins, 6 years before BMW. But neither was popular in the US.
careful how you post this or you might find yourself ambushed and beaten with penny loafers and Moccasins by a group of yuppie hipsters that are upset due to your forsaking the name of BMW like that... lol

Old 12-01-2010, 05:22 PM
hig4s
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAirThree
careful how you post this or you might find yourself ambushed and beaten with penny loafers and Moccasins by a group of yuppie hipsters that are upset due to your forsaking the name of BMW like that... lol
My dream bikes, all my youth, were one BMW or another, when I finally got the money I test road all the comparable bikes, and was very close to getting the BMW, I like the way the bike felt, but in the end the lack of dealerships and the drive shaft issues forced me to pass.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:35 PM
RamAirThree
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hig4s
My dream bikes, all my youth, were one BMW or another, when I finally got the money I test road all the comparable bikes, and was very close to getting the BMW, I like the way the bike felt, but in the end the lack of dealerships and the drive shaft issues forced me to pass.
lol.... I guess my joke is more geographically understood. Here in NY, there is a neighborhood in Brooklyn that was going downhill but came back to life with the hipsters. Anyway it is a neighborhood full of BMW/Ducati cafe's where the Hipsters never ride any further then there garage to a cafe', watch European road rally vids and then argue whose bike is better and more European.... and yes the appropriate motorcycle foot wear there seems to be penny loafers and moccasins.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:25 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
Off the top of your head, can you name another motorcycle manufacturer whose entire lineup of street-legal bikes was all either shaft-driven or Kevlar/Aramid/carbon-fiber belt driven before Harley?
BMW

and yer missing my point 357. Harley regularly introduced new models that were much more than adding some chrome or lowering an existing model. Big difference from whats being done today.
I'm not knocking Harley in this thread. I'm defending their history, and pointing out the majority of Harley riders today don't want change or new models, and that attitude ends up hurting Harley. Moco becomes the victim because of limited thinking, something the company has never had to deal with before.
Gonna have to disagree with you on this. I'm not bashing the MOCO overall, but I believe their focus is the bottom line to their shareholders. If they can save a few cents per unit by buying Chinese parts, they can, they will, and probably do. Not exactly a case study for innovation by the MOCO itself. JMHO.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:43 PM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

As long as it sounded like, felt like and looked like a Harley, then......YES!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 PM
myglide
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Roadstar had a 102ci air cooled V-twin engine stock. Gear driven cams. It had more torque than both my Harleys. It was an awsome machine. I have a soft spot for Harleys. That is why I have them now.