General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old folks Harleys and Young folks Harleys...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Eeze E
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was 28 when I got my Sportster. I'm 34 and ride a Springer Classic.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:50 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow such an old thread, keeps coming back to life, I never give a thought about age and models of any bike, it's about what you like, what you can afford, or what your heart desires, I guess the only way age would matter would be health and heck a young person can have physical limitations, so if I had the money I'd have about 4 or 5 different Harleys one being my birth year FLH, and a few dirt bikes cause I like dirt too, yeah money I think that's the real deciding factor....hmmm maybe if my music ever takes off or I win the lottery!! lol

Old 12-04-2011, 12:59 PM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
The OP's premise is flawed.
Perhaps it made more sense five years ago when he started the thread?

But, I tend to agree. There are just too many variables to generalize anything about motorcycle ownership preferences and choices. Having owned several different types and brands of motorcycles over the years and participated in their respective forums, it's always kinda amusing to see how tribal folks become.

Short Answer: Bought first Harley at 51; FXDWG. It's the only Harley that really appealed to me and my wife other than the 100th Anniv. CVO Softail Duece.

Long Answer: I started out riding Honda MX bikes when I was 13 back in the early 70's, moved on to Honda I4 sport bikes in the late 70's ('77 CB550F, as sport was relative back then), owned mostly Honda I4's but rode a whole bunch of different bikes in my 20's - 40's, moved over to BMWs when I was 48 just to change things up after nearly 10 years on a Honda CBR1100, and had BMW's 1999 - 2005 version of a sport bike (R1100s) as well as an '04 R1150RT Sport Touring model that I sold last year.

Started to take more notice of Harley's around 2009, as we kept running into H-D owners at our favorite Friday night joint and it turns out my wife was a biker-babe at heart just waiting to come out of the closet. So, in our early 50's we bought our first Harley this past summer: 2011 FXDWG. Like most folks, I've dumped another $5k into the thing to "fix" the stuff that needed fixing, nothing that dramatic. Can't think of another Harley that I'd want to own.

I switch back and forth between the Harley and BMW R1100S for my daily commute depending on the weather, and we do all our two-up riding on the Harley, which is what it was really bought for. I just like to ride and enjoy riding anything with two wheels.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Originally Posted by John TN
... yeah money I think that's the real deciding factor....hmmm maybe if my music ever takes off or I win the lottery!! lol
Most definitely. I'd be on a custom built Dyna if I could afford it. Lottery, yeah, a bigger house and a brand new Harley, not necessarily in that order.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:40 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

A recent article from Harley says the average Harley rider is 55 y/o. The sales of the blackline and 48 are targeting the 35 y/o and under.

When the cheapest bike starts at around $8k, it really cuts out the younger crowd that needs a car first and toy second. So the age goes mostly by cost.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:10 PM
slickster2354
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tandemgeek..a guy on an HD forum admitting he owns a BMW....ever been on a Honda st1300?...I like the HD torque thing but that bike can really thrill/scare the rider...know of several guys that have nearly 100K mi on them and haven't done a thing but oil/tire changes...

Old 12-05-2011, 10:10 AM
FXD_TG
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slickster2354
Tandemgeek..a guy on an HD forum admitting he owns a BMW....ever been on a Honda st1300.
Off Topic: Like I said, it's interesting when you lurk on sport bike, BMW and Harley boards and get to hear the different perspectives...

Yeah, I've ridden a couple different ST1100's and ST1300's. It's a very nice bike but, like the GL's, they're almost too refined, have some styling cues that seem a bit unfinished, and also lack soul. Well, that and I could never get past the exhaust note... reminded me too much of the Jetson's flying car.

Our '04 BMW R1150RT had some nice lines (ignoring the BMW top case and other luggage, which was dated and in need of restyling), truly rode like a sport touring bike with the emphasis on sport (similar to the FJRs), and had a lot of soul. But, ultimately -- like any bike with a fully faired front end and tall windscreens -- was boring to ride and of little "fun" or "utility" beyond commuting and trips.

Our '11 Wide Glide is pure soul... the likes of which I've never experieced. Rode it to work this morning, as there's no rain in the forecast. Tomorrow, it will be raining at 5AM so I'll be back on the BMW R1100S... purposeful and more practical with a lot of soul, but it ain't no Harley.
Back on Topic: At the end of the day, I think I can appreciate the Harley more in my 50's now that I've ridden a bunch of different bikes and have a few bucks in my pocket. The entry fee, upgrades and upkeep aren't all that much more expensive than they are for BMWs which is also a pretty pricey brand with it's own appeal and demograhic nuances, but the riding experience is a whole different ballgame. Thankfully, I have no problem switching back and forth, ergonomically, emotionally, or otherwise.

The Wide Glide was the only bike that truly appealed to me at this point, given I have a semi-faired bike for commuting in wet and winter weather. I actually started off "wanting" a Street Glide or Road Glide until I rode them and found myself feeling like I was back on my R1150RT sport touring bike. Just gotta have those knees in the breeze and, well, Debbie really liked how she felt on the back of the Wide Glide, more so than the other Dynas or Softails. The Road King... maybe when we're in our 60's that or a Road Glide will take the place of the R1100S.

Last edited by FXD_TG; 12-05-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

All throughout my 20s, 30s 40s and now 50s, I've always wanted the kind of harley I have now. it just took until now before I could justify the expense. 'course, I'll modify it to fit my liking just the same.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:53 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll be 59 in January. I like riding my Ultra, my Dyna, and my wifes Sportster (but only when she is at work. She'd get pissed if she knew I was taking it out without her permission). I'd like to add a softail to the fleet (either a fatboy or a heritage, or maybe a deluxe), but I need a bigger garage first.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:24 PM
softail04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't know what old guys ride I'm only 70 but for me it's
a softail std with apes and two into one ex.
nevr ever wanted a bagger or what we used to call a dresser
first harley was a 49 pan I chopped been riding for a couple of years now about 50 or so and have had all kinds of bikes both metric and hd
also dirt and street even had some that we used to ride to the track ,race and hopfully ride back home

Quick Reply: Old folks Harleys and Young folks Harleys...