General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 08:05 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Well I was shocked at the prices they were charging at the Amsoil tent (and other places), actually a little pissed, felt they were gouging. I went to the O'reillys across the street, boought al necessary materials, Mobil 1 V $9 per qt, Blue paper towels, drain pan $3, Fram Filter cant remember but like $5. Did the oil change in parking lot, dumped oil at store recycle bin left pan behind. All of this within sight of the theiving oil changers tents, fk them. Total cost $50.

Afterwords I seen a church on the bypass street everyone uses offering a place to change oil and wash bike for free, tents and all. Good Christians there.

As others said change before you leave, I was on way back to Fla from Alaska so was due for change.
Was wondering if would see this in the Post Jerry, why checked it out .. Remember this well ...

Old 05-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Flatbedder
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't want to start another oil thread, but I am going to chime in here. I have owned large tractor trailer rigs for over 10 yrs. Been driving for over 25. Now I know that the additive packages in diesel oil is different for those of gas engines. Having said that, we run our oil up to 20,000 miles without changing. This is not considered an extended drain interval. Best mileage to change on a truck with dino oil is 15,000 miles. With full synthetic oil, in a motorcycle, five thousand miles is a no brainer. I run a syn blend in my Ford Explorer and it has over 170,000 miles on it. I change it every six or seven thousand. You should have no problem running full synthetic in your bike seven thousand plus miles.

Change before you leave with high quality full synthetic, run it with confidence, change it when you get back.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:03 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Flatbedder
Don't want to start another oil thread, but I am going to chime in here. I have owned large tractor trailer rigs for over 10 yrs. Been driving for over 25. Now I know that the additive packages in diesel oil is different for those of gas engines. Having said that, we run our oil up to 20,000 miles without changing. This is not considered an extended drain interval. Best mileage to change on a truck with dino oil is 15,000 miles. With full synthetic oil, in a motorcycle, five thousand miles is a no brainer. I run a syn blend in my Ford Explorer and it has over 170,000 miles on it. I change it every six or seven thousand. You should have no problem running full synthetic in your bike seven thousand plus miles.

Change before you leave with high quality full synthetic, run it with confidence, change it when you get back.
Had a little over 6K on the oil when did the FL trip to Sturgis and back last year, oil still looked fine when draining and didn't use a drop between changes .. It should have looked good, the Oil was only 2 weeks old ..

Old 05-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Even a stout dino like Valvoline VR1 can do 5-6k with no problems, especially extended highway miles. Change it before you leave with a good dino or synthetic & change it again when you get back & enjoy the trip. Definitely not something to worry about, IMO...

Old 05-07-2011, 10:20 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put syn in before you go, change it when you get back 5000 miles later. If you follow normal oil change intervals there is not substantial enough oil breakdown to cause abnormal wear or damage to your equipment.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:43 PM
philipmcphail@hotmail.com
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Synthetic and dont worry about it,ride safe and have fun!