General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spot Clean Denim Paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:33 PM
grog_lives
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spot Clean Denim Paint

I have a denim black paint job on my cycle. The owners manual says to spot clean with an ammonia based cleaner, which I'm assuming is similar to Windex. Is this what others use? Are there other products that folks use? I'm mainly looking for something for situations when you have a small bug splatter, etc.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:16 AM
cursedspirit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harley makes a spray cleaner called "Demin paint cleaner" It is $10 bucks a bottle. It lasts me about 2 months, really nice and easy. Spray on cleaning towel and wipe the bike down. Takes all of 10-15 minutes to clean bike and go........

Old 06-20-2011, 12:16 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,112 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by grog_lives
I have a denim black paint job on my cycle. The owners manual says to spot clean with an ammonia based cleaner, which I'm assuming is similar to Windex. Is this what others use? Are there other products that folks use? I'm mainly looking for something for situations when you have a small bug splatter, etc.
I use ammonia free "Costco" window cleaner to clean off the gunk. Then I follow with Harley's "Denim Paint Cleaner" in the spray bottle...works like a champ, no streak marks, and the paint looks showroom new.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:24 AM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior

I ride around with a bottle of windex and a microfiber towel in my saddlebag. Works well for me, especially with the bugs.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:28 AM
grog_lives
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cursedspirit
Harley makes a spray cleaner called "Demin paint cleaner" It is $10 bucks a bottle. It lasts me about 2 months, really nice and easy. Spray on cleaning towel and wipe the bike down. Takes all of 10-15 minutes to clean bike and go........
So with this denim cleaner you're putting directly on the mess, i.e., your not rinsing the bike first? I do wash the bike, I'm just looking for something quick for small messes.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:33 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

How about water? I also use quick detailer spray on mine. Paint still looks like new except the few small chips from rocks or whatever.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:55 AM
grog_lives
Cruiser

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
How about water? I also use quick detailer spray on mine. Paint still looks like new except the few small chips from rocks or whatever.

Yeah, I believe water would work, I’m just looking for something that will take off bugs, etc., in quick easy fashion when one doesn’t want to/have time to clean the entire cycle. I usually clean my cycle with a mild detergent such as plain old dawn dish soap and I’m looking for a quick detailer for spot fixes. I started this thread as I looked at the owner’s manual and was surprised to see that HD recommends a cleaner with ammonia in it. I guess this surprised me as ammonia is somewhat harsh.
With the above said, I finally hit the right search words on Google as I found a number of posts indicating that many in fact do use Windex to clean their cycles, both denim paint and the chrome.
Are you folks using the Windex on the chrome also?

Old 06-20-2011, 11:32 AM
dortiz
Road Captain

How does the super secret" Pledge" work on Denim?

Old 06-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member

Windex, or generic equivalent.

I probably only give my bike a ghod wash maybe 3, 4 times a year. Most of the time just hit the tins with windex and ride.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:31 PM
motoxbret
Stage I

best cleaner by far is 1/2and1/2 vinigar and water