General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passing on the Right? WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
Why didn't you stop and see if he needed assistance.
Tough crowd here tonight...maybe the crotch rocket was stopped at a stop sign at a cross road to the two lane road the OP was traveling down. Most people don't stop to see if riders stopped at stop signs need assistance. ****, I'd never get anywhere if I went down a line of stopped traffic asking if they needed help, well maybe I'd get a free ride to the loony bin.

The only reason I'm jumpin in here is because I had the same thing happen to me, but unlike the OP I didn't see the crotch rocket coming and it scared the beejeezus out of me when he passed on the right, and pissed me off because there was no oncoming traffic in the opposing lane. He was just being a dick.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,518 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by Time2ride
On a two lane road(as stated in his post), the only lane there is is the right lane. So he was in the right lane and the crotch rocket passed him on the right by splitting the one lane. Stupid,dangerous move by the crotch rocket rider.
Since they quit doing the hokey-pokey (busy teaching kids about global warming) in kindergarten the kids don't know their left from right. Or maybe they're just selfish, self-absorbed kids who think they're special just for showing up. Even scarier that some people support passing on the right on a 2 lane. WTF?

Old 06-29-2011, 10:02 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of you seem to be missreading the OP.Splitting a SINGLE lane to pass on the right is not cool.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:03 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had em pass me on the right. I knew they were coming, so wasn't a big deal. I don't get all twisted around the notion of "I have right of way to the entire lane width, and by god I won't share it with anyone".

Wanna pass me in my lane? Go ahead, if it is done in a safe and reasonable manner.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,518 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by CSI
I've had em pass me on the right. I knew they were coming, so wasn't a big deal. I don't get all twisted around the notion of "I have right of way to the entire lane width, and by god I won't share it with anyone".

Wanna pass me in my lane? Go ahead, if it is done in a safe and reasonable manner.
Bad enough my head has to be on a swivel looking for old blind people, deer, speeding log trucks, turkeys, raccoons, skunks, gravel, potholes, oil, and now I gotta watch my right side for bikes? You better be ready for a fight if you pass WI 1592F on the right.

Last edited by Ron750; 06-29-2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: deleted extra word
Old 06-29-2011, 10:16 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Ron - Right on! I with you.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:23 PM
bp_shooter123
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CSI

I've had this happen as well. If I see them I will move and let them use the right portion of my lane if needed. The problem comes when you don't see them and they pass on your right in your lane.

The last one that did it to me had plenty of room to go around me on the left but did not. I'm sorry folks but sharing lanes to me means prior knowledge on both riders parts.

Michael

Old 06-29-2011, 10:32 PM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 Ron

Old 06-30-2011, 02:29 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Bad enough my head has to be on a swivel looking for old blind people, deer, speeding log trucks, turkeys, raccoons, skunks, gravel, potholes, oil, and now I gotta watch my right side for bikes? You better be ready for a fight if you pass WI 1592F on the right.
Well, part of passing somebody in such a manner SAFELY would be to insure that they know of your presence.

The few times I have been passed on the right, I knew they were there (no head on a swivel either.....I have and use my mirrors). Guy came up, held position to my right rear for a moment, and then zipped on by.

No drama....and even if I had a mind to fight, following him to his destination really wouldn't be worth the time.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:48 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

Most of us has had it happen to us..
I was on a two lane road, one lane each direction, riding in the middle of the lane when a kid on a CR passed me riding the white line on the edge of the road doing bout 20 over the limit.

I caught up with a few blocks later. He just said his buddies he rides with do it all the time, thought it was normal..

After our little talk I think he now knows we all don't do it.

Quick Reply: Passing on the Right? WTF!