General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wreck total or repair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 10:53 PM
SkyEagle
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wreck total or repair?

Good evening all,
Hoping to get some thoughts in place before getting a call from the insurance company. I lost control of my RK Classic returning from Sturgis and ended up in the median of I-90. Photos taken by a member of the group I was traveling with show quite a bit of damage to the bike. What I cannot see from the photos is if there is damage to the frame. If the appraiser notes any damage to the frame, will an insurance company automatically total the bike or attempt repair? If there is frame damage and the insurance company wants to repair is there any reason not to go along with this? Any and all information or links to studies done on this type of situation would be appreciated as I just have a gut feeling that once it is bent in one or more places that it would not be safe to ride even after repair.

Thanks in advance

Richard

Old 08-31-2005, 11:00 PM
71 shovelhead
Cruiser
Default RE: Wreck total or repair?

Replacing the frame isn't cause for totaling a bike, If there is frame damage REPLACE DON'T REPAIR. As far as totaling the bike, it depends how much is bent up. If they total it you could always buy it back and repair it yourself, that is if you're real handy

Old 08-31-2005, 11:07 PM
sandersnc
6th Gear

If the frame is bent, Harley will sell you another frame but you have to cut the neck off of the old frame with the VIN number and send it to them and they will send a new frame with your same VIN number. The insurance company may try to issue a salvage title for the bike which will affect its value. Depends on the amount of work you want to do and what they offer if totaled.
Jeff

Old 08-31-2005, 11:12 PM
brianseay
Tourer

You can give me a call if you like and i may can help you. I just went thru this in may, i totalled out a new 05 ultra classic 256-495-2438 (Brian)

Old 08-31-2005, 11:40 PM
Nav
Cruiser

Typically when the cost to repair a damaged vehicle exceeds 80% of the value of the vehicle at the time of the loss the insurance company will opt to total the vehicle and pay you (and the finance company) the book value of the vehicle. This will vary some from company to company, but this gives you a ballpark to work with. The salvage title laws vary by state. If the bike is totalled and you opt to buy the salvage back from the insurance company and repair the bike yourself you still may need a salvage title. If the bike is repairable and not totalled there should be no affect on the title. This is based on my 18 years in the insurance business.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:35 AM
Pat
Road Master

Our own HeatherC is an insurance adjuster. What's your opinion on this Heather?

Old 09-01-2005, 10:13 AM
dert
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

word of caution: if its totaled by insurance co.they will pay its worth,not what you owe unless you have a GAP policy then the GAP pays the rest .Question ?? Are you ok ??

Old 09-01-2005, 07:29 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pat

Our own HeatherC is an insurance adjuster. What's your opinion on this Heather?
I am an insurance agent not an adjuster. I don't adjust claims myself but do have some knowledge of the process. Here is my opinion. A damaged frame does not automatically total a vehicle or motorcycle. Totalling the vehicle is determined by first estimating the cost to repair the vehicle. If this cost exceeds or is close to the ACV (actual cash value) of the vehicle the insurance company will opt to total the vehicle. When the do that they are bacisally purchasing the vehicle & title from you. You can then buy it back acording the the salvage laws of your state. If they determine it can be repaired there is not reason for concern and your title will not be affected. The insurance company will have their collision repair center look at the damage and you should also have the option to have your own private company access the damages and offer estimates. I suggest that you get several estimates. Here in Indiana the claimant or insured has the option to use any approved shop. I hope this helps. If you run into any problems or have specific questions once the process has started please let me know. One of my good friends is an insurance adjuster for Progressive in the motorcycle department. I can call him and ask him anything you need to know.

Old 09-02-2005, 02:12 AM
SkyEagle
Novice

Thanks to all who responded, give me some idea of what will be happening and what I should consider.

dert, better than I probably have any right to be. Broken right leg, 2 plates and 15 screws and told to place no weight on it for at least 3 months. I consider myself very fortunate.

Thanks again
SkyEagle

Old 09-02-2005, 03:05 PM
rkrdr2
Advanced

I'm glad to see your ok considering,bones will heal, I hit a car that turned in front of me on my '04 flhr bent the frame,it had 12k worth of damage, I tried to get the Insurance to total it but they told me it had to be 80% of value. I was very leary about a rebuilt bike but I must say every thing is good,I spent the fist 2k miles waiting for it to fall apart at a stop light,every noise, vibration would drive me crazy.I have since put 5k on the bike since the rebuild with no probs. Just find the best shop HD or indy to do the work,You have the right to have it fixed wherever you want.I tore up my left arm from my fingers to my shoulder,had 2 surgerys lost full range of use,laid up for 5 months,I feel your pain,.good luck......and getting back on the bike for the fist time was the best therapy of all!!!