General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

2015 Limited Low front fork problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 10:59 PM
beauxbob
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Limited Low front fork problems

Hi All ,
I have a buddy that has a 2015 Limited Low and the front forks will barely move and has a gritty feel to it when you hold the front brake and try to compress them , it has been this way since he bought it and the HD dealer has had it 3 times now (still under warranty) and every time they tell him to come and get it they have it fixed , but every time he picks it up it's doing the same thing as it did when he drops it off . To me it acts like they forgot to put oil in the forks and it's metal to metal in the tubes , the Dealer is giving him the run-around , so my question , is this a common problem with the Low and has anyone else ran into this problem and if so , what was the fix . Thanks a bunch in advance any help .

Old 04-14-2017, 09:10 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Find another low at the dealership, cycle the forks on it and see if it is the same. If not, you have a problem and HD needs to fix it...

Old 04-14-2017, 09:36 AM
beauxbob
5th Gear

Thanks dfwhockey17 , I have went with him two of times and we both went into the showroom and the Low they had was smooth as silk and have been to other Dealers and the new and used ones we checked were smooth also , he is no dummy when it comes to HD's as he has quite a few he has restored and also races flat-track miles with his XR-750's and can tear into it his-self and find out the problem but it's under warranty and as you said , they should fix it . This dealer is notorious for being ***-hats and I think they're waiting for the warranty to expire (2 months left) . Again , THANKS a bunch .

Old 04-14-2017, 03:16 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

There is definitely something wrong with the forks, they should be smooth when cycling through. Have your buddy find a different dealer and let them feel the difference between his bike and a new one, that way there is an understanding on the dealers part before getting into the work...

Old 04-14-2017, 07:26 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,300 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Time to call the HD tech line and find another dealer.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:30 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Mine aren't gritty or anything like that, but they are considerably stiffer than the standard Limited forks.

Take out an inch of travel.... no free lunch.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 04-16-2017, 05:15 PM
beauxbob
5th Gear

Thanks everyone , he finally called and they are finding him a different Dealer and will probably install a complete new front end .

Old 04-17-2017, 08:44 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,300 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Good for him. Please update us with what they find.
Thanks
Bill

Old 04-18-2017, 08:29 PM
beauxbob
5th Gear

I sure will , and thanks for all the help , he is out of town for 10 days and when he gets back hopefully HD Tech guys have contacted him on where they want him to take it . I will let you know how it goes and what they find .

Old 05-11-2017, 04:15 PM
beauxbob
5th Gear

Hi All , just wanted to give you an update on my buddies '15 Limited Low front shock problem , he ended up fixing it himself after talking to an old racing buddy that now owns an HD dealership . They don't tell ya that the front forks are different from side to side , one side is valved for compression and the other is rebound , can't remember which side was which but the problem was the spring on one side is a lot longer than the other and looked like a snake rubbing the tube gualing it making it hang up and basicly making it solid at times. So , he was going to install chrome lowers anyway and after that and a set of Progressive springs it now rides like a dream . He called Harley Tech Support and the have yet to contact him back hence a lot of fugg'ems I'm fixing it myself . So I want to thanks everybody's help and hope this helps if someone runs into this problem . Again , THANKS !!!!!