General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

96 heritage Softail speedometer conversion?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 02:44 PM
SoftailLove
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 heritage Softail speedometer conversion?????

Hey, I'm wondering if any of your brilliant minds out there could give me some guidance. I have a 96 heritage Softail classic with a mechanical speedometer. I trying to figure out what all I need to convert it to an electronic speedometer. I've upgraded to an ultima 6 speed trans that has the needed hole for the speed sensor. But what other harnesses would I need to get a combination speedo working that has mph, rpm, oil pressure, neutral light. Thanks

Old 05-11-2017, 11:30 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

'96 was the first year of the electronic speedo, did someone convert yours back to mechanical?

Old 05-12-2017, 02:55 AM
SoftailLove
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
'96 was the first year of the electronic speedo, did someone convert yours back to mechanical?
I have no idea really... Alot of stuff on the bike isn't the year I was told it is. I know it has a mechanical speedo. This is the second speedo I've put on it. I've built the motor up quite well, and she doesn't like any kind of mechanical gauge... She blows the internals apart. Speedo, oil pressure, oil temperature. One of the bolts on my front brake disk walked its way out, and took out the mechanical piece for the speedo cable. So now I want to put an electronic speedometer on, but not quite sure of the different electrical harnesses that I will need.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:12 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 793 Likes on 604 Posts

Hello and welcome.
Some things do not make sense.
Reads like you have a non-factory or non-stock bike..a built motor, a non-harley replacement transmission and self reported parts that do not match year..
I believe a 1996 would be electronic and not mechanical.
A properly installed mechanical speedometer can pass a 100,000 miles.
Maybe someone routed the cable from the front wheel to speedometer without regard to placement...too many hard turns of cable can make it get stuck.
Probably turned a few times under tank.
Speedometer would then bind and then either break the cable or destroy the speedometer.
There are bikes much older than 1996 that are still on an original speedometer.
A built motor would be of little concern unless it was spinning past the measurable maximum speed.
If you are having to replace multiple times then it is more of an installation error or other items being improperly addressed and destroying the unit (loose rotor bolt for example).
A loose rotor bolt is something that should not happen unless someone was not following proper procedures.
A properly installed unit should last a long time.
It is rather difficult to offer detailed suggestions if you have parts that do not match year.
Consider review of a parts finder in order to determine exactly what you have on the bike.
Below is a parts link.
Enter year and model.
Then go to parts category.
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc