General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Couldn't be more green

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 12:20 PM
Jmick20
Stage IV
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Couldn't be more green

Hello all,

I am inheriting a 1994 Dyna Super Glide. It has sat idle, in a garage, for a few years. The owner took good care of it (no accidents, major problems, etc.) However, I am sure there will be some maintenance and cash I will need to put into it before I begin riding it (tires, gaskets, whatnot.) My only issue is that this will be my first bike. I have riding lessons after my wedding in September, so I couldn't be more green to motorcycles. How much do you think it will cost to get up and running? What all do you suggest me having checked out? Any suggestions would be incredibly helpful.

I'm not sure if it's carbed. I haven't gotten my hands on it yet. I am very excited to work on the bike and get to know it. I intend to read the manual and all. I am just looking for a rough estimate on what I will need to put into it assuming the only issue with it is that it has sat for a few years.

Thanks,

Jake

Old 08-31-2021, 12:25 PM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,705 Posts

Are you capable of performing basic service or farming it out ?

The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 03:45 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

Here's a short list of things that need to be addressed:
1.) Tires. They might look good but who knows how old they were when it was parked and then add that to the storage time.
2.) Change all of the fluids and filters. Oil, trans., primary, brake and fuel. Keep an eye on the fuel filter for a bit as there might be some rust or other funk in the tank.
3.) Rebuild and clean the carb.
4.) Lube and adjust the clutch and throttle cables. If the clutch cable has a teflon liner, don't bother lubing it.
5.) Replace the battery. Make sure all of the electrical connections are solid including the ground cable(s). Also make sure all of the lights, including the ones on the dash, operate properly.
6.) Repack the wheel bearings. You didn't say how many miles are on it but the grease is probably 27 years old too.
7.) Adjust belt tension and align the rear wheel.
8.) Check the operation of the brakes. Do the pistons move freely?

If you don't feel comfortable doing any of this it could get expensive. If you have the tools and work space try to do as much as you can. Most of the items, with the exception of the tires, can be done in the typical homeowner's garage and there are a pile of people here that can walk you through all of these operations. Good luck and welcome.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:31 PM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 864 Likes on 511 Posts

As a new rider replace the tires even if they appear good and are less than 5-7 years old. You don't need potentially hard or slick tires on your bike with your limited post BRC experience. Replacing tires will be far less expensive than even a low speed mishap.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:50 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,801 Likes on 956 Posts

In addition:

FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL IS A MUST...

No getting around it. There are a few of them on fleabay in the 50 dollar range. Even the manual has a few errors and things have been changed and updated but for the most part, it will be the best tool you buy.

Depending on your wrenching level, and being your first bike, don't be afraid to ask questions and post them here, or the evo section, etc. Good group here and for the most part, always willing to help. Always valuable info when you can ask a question from someone who has "been there done that".

1994 is a pretty good year. Oh yeah, it's a carbed bike. It should have the stock CV-40 carb (good carb). Parts are available for it. Probably will need a good cleaning/rebuild depending on how long the bike has sat. First thing to do is take the gas cap off and smell the gas. If it smells like gas your in pretty good shape. If it smells like varnish(sour gas), your going to need to drain all that out and rinse/flush the tank. Probably be worth while to do it just because of the age. Never know what is in that tank.

I would take some pics and post them, along with checking the fuel first. Take things slow and don't be to anxious to start it up without checking certain things out first (as previously mentioned). Congratulations, and good luck with your new bike.

pgreer (09-01-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 06:53 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Before anything else, take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Rider Course. THEN worry about the "New-to-you" Dyna.

Old 09-01-2021, 06:19 PM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,375 Likes on 894 Posts

I'd clean the gas tank and pull the carb float bowl and clean that out, then fill with fresh fuel. But before starting, I'd remove the spark plugs and spray a little WD40 in the cylinders and let it sit while you are doing the other work. Before trying to start it, crank the engine over with the plugs removed to push out any excess WD40, and help get some oil circulating. Then put the plugs back in and try to start it.

Once it starts and if it sounds ok, let it run long enough to warm up and drain the engine oil and refill and install with a new oil filter. Check the transmission and primary oil levels as well as brake fluid level. If the brakes are working, I'd ride it around the block or so keeping the speed to 30 mph or so, and then drain the trans and primary oil. The brake fluid will need to flushed too as DOT4 fluid absorbs moisture from the air and will eventually cause corrosion to the parts, and the moisture in the fluid will lower the brake fluid boiling point, which can be dangerous.

But take the riding course and replace the tires before riding more than around the block, once you are comfortable you will keep it,

Paul

Last edited by pgreer; 09-01-2021 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:02 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,060 Likes on 1,764 Posts

Don’t see it mentioned here yet but once you start it up for the first time, it may/probably will puke oil out the air cleaner. There is a check ball in the oil pump that may need addressing.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:36 PM
Jmick20
Stage IV
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah! You guys are great. I will keep you updated as I get things going but this definitely gives me a place to start. I appreciate it all!

MXJunky (10-11-2021)