General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Motorcycle jack

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 10:03 AM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Motorcycle jack

Part Number:80-815Weight:61.0 lbs.Pricing:$99.00

http://www.autozone.com/R,2262416/store,206/shopping/accessoryProductDetail.htm

I don't want to get into the habit of taking the bike to the dealer for every service check but
I don't want to spend $500 of the top of the line jack either but at the same time I don't want
to buy the cheapest and have it break after only using it a couple of times. So I'm looking and
found this at Autozone. Anyone know whether this is an adequate jack or not?

If you don't like this one then please reccommend another.

thanks.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Road Gypsy
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pensacolaharley,
Maybe this will help. A good friend of mine sustained damage to his FXST because the jack failed overnight. It was the Autozone jack. Enough said? I had a lift from JS Jacks http://www.jsjacks.com/index.htm for a long time. Used it for my Road King with no problems for a year. Loaned it out and have not seen it since.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:49 PM
dc4stroke
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default jacks

I've had several of the Craftsman from Sears and have never had a problem. I have the alluminum one at present and use it alot. Though if you're going to leave the bike on for any extended time I wolud lower the jack as low as feasible and use the tie downs. Also make sure the safety latch is ingaged.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:05 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

A 50 dollar lift or a 500 dollar lift all have a 10 dollar bottle jack on them. Either can fail. That is why they put safety arms on the lifts. Use them and you will be fine.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:53 PM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a pit bull lift I am very happy with it .
I would buy a pitbull or a j&s ONLY. I also have a craftsman lift all I use it for is to keep the deck on my lawn tractor clean

Old 03-01-2009, 08:44 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

I think all the lower end jacks(Craftsman Red,HF,etc-)are about the same.
I have been using a Craftsman Red for years with no problems.
The main thing to do is to use the safety locks and common sense.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:03 AM
TruBluUltra
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use (on a daily basis) a yellow craftsman jack on my '06 Ultra....and it spends most (if not all) winter on it. I've never had any issue with it and yes, I use locking arms each and every time (just like I would with ANY other jack). I move the bike around the garage while it's in the air and 99% of the time do not strap it to the jack (I use a strap when doing things, such as rear wheel removal, which will greatly change the bike's balance).

Old 03-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would look at two things before I bought any MC jack:

1) Check Lowered height (clearance) Spec. Sears cheap jack was too high to fit under the Road King after rear was lowered 1" . THe clearance was actually higher than spec'ed- I got my $$ back. I have the harbor freight model and have to center the bike before it will fit under it (will not fit while on the jiffy stand). Real PIA. Looking back, would rather have spent the extra $$ on the Alum Sears jack with the lower clearance.

2) THe lowering speed; or how fast the jack goes down with a load. You can stand on it and have someone lower it. THe harbor freight jack I have works great, but when you push the pedal to lower it, its WHAM, hard drop. THere is NO way to make it lower any slower. Two buddie have the same yellow Harbor Freight jack and they do the same thing. Other than that, It was worth the money (get it on sale).

Good Luck-

Old 03-07-2009, 01:41 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Road Gypsy
Pensacolaharley,
Maybe this will help. A good friend of mine sustained damage to his FXST because the jack failed overnight. It was the Autozone jack. Enough said? I had a lift from JS Jacks http://www.jsjacks.com/index.htm for a long time. Used it for my Road King with no problems for a year. Loaned it out and have not seen it since.
I know how ya feel dude. I let my neighbor across the street barrow some electrical tape once and never saw it again after that. But, tell me you only loaned it to someone you know and you'll be able to get it back?
Before I saw your reply I went ahead and bought this jack. I don't plan on leaving my bike on there for long extended periods of time so hopefully it'll be okay. I really... REALLY... like the J&S Jack but couldn't justify (to myself) why I should spend $250+ more than the $100 jack (pictured)?

Old 03-07-2009, 01:44 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TruBluUltra
I use (on a daily basis) a yellow craftsman jack on my '06 Ultra....and it spends most (if not all) winter on it. I've never had any issue with it and yes, I use locking arms each and every time (just like I would with ANY other jack). I move the bike around the garage while it's in the air and 99% of the time do not strap it to the jack (I use a strap when doing things, such as rear wheel removal, which will greatly change the bike's balance).
Sounds like you know, from personal experience, of what you're talking about.

thanks.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle jack