Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

To Rake or not to Rake

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 04:24 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 666 Posts

We just had the Champion EZ steer trees installed on my wife's '05 Harley FLHT with a Hannigan hack. I rode it to the shop for the job and rode it home afterwards. The difference was immediately noticeable, and as has been mentioned, it's like power steering. Far less effort required to hold straight on a crowned road, and the short section of twisties I took was a breeze. I know THE WIFE will be happy with it as soon as she rides it. She put about 30,000 miles on the rig before the modification, but won't be able to ride for another month or so. But that's another story.

I'll be adding a sidecar to my bike within a year, and an EZ steer will be part of the package.

And no, I don't work for Champion in any way.

Last edited by deadhawg; 06-25-2017 at 04:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by deadhawg:
mr.precision (09-29-2017), trikerpete (03-06-2023)
Old 09-27-2017, 06:55 AM
FreedomRider
Road Master
Received 337 Likes on 241 Posts

Glad to see folks reading this, hope it is helping someone make a choice. I know I had trouble finding before/after comparison when I was considering a rake tree. I'm still glad I added the 4 deg rake tree, makes handling a lot nicer.

The following users liked this post:
wbir (09-27-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 12:49 PM
mr.precision
Cruiser
Received 171 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by FreedomRider
Here are the results for whoever is interested. New trees arrived yesterday from Frankenstein so I blew today day off work to do the install. Took a little over 2 hours to remove the old tree, install the new, adjust the headlight, roll the handlebars up just a little, and clean my finger prints off all the shiny parts.

Took a 35 mile test ride on all types of road, straight, curvy, rough, and smooth. I was amazed at the difference the 4 degree trees made in handling the trike at all speeds ... I felt I was using less than half the effort I did before. I would recommend Frankenstein for their conversions and trees ... the support they give their customers is great.

So in answer to my original question ... To Rake or not to Rake ... Rake for sure, you won't be disappointed with the difference ... and the difference is felt at all speed ranges.
Did the 4 degree rake drop the front end enough to notice? Or did you stick with the same forks? I am thinking about doing the same to my 2005 FLHTC Lehman trike. It's a bear to steer through a curve.. even at moderate speed.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:24 PM
FreedomRider
Road Master

I used the stock fork assemblies and simply changed the tree to Frankenstein's 4 deg kit. I did not notice any drop in the front end ... the steering effort was reduced by about half. It still has somewhat of a heavy feeling in sharper curves, but nothing like before changing the trees.

Stock handlebar risers, handlebars, and wiring went right back on with no problems. I left everything together and just unbolted the risers from the stock trees ... layed them on the tank while I changed the trees ... then bolted them back on. The only thing I had to do was loosen the handlebar clamp and roll the handlebars up just a little so it felt comfortable.

I don't think you will regret changing to raked trees.

The following users liked this post:
mr.precision (09-30-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 10:23 PM
gooberhd1
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Several people I know triked their bikes and all eventually all went with raked triple trees. Rode one and difference was substantial.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:43 PM
Geary Thomas
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

been bouncing back and forth for my TriGlide... thanks for the input

Old 01-15-2018, 04:32 PM
FreedomRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by Geary Thomas
been bouncing back and forth for my TriGlide... thanks for the input
If you have a factory Tri-Glide you may want to find out if it already has raked trees.

I am very happy with the rake trees ... it does make the steering feel a lot lighter ... and being 66 I can use all the help I can get.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:39 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,628 Likes on 5,180 Posts

I have a 2017 RGU that will down the road get a sidecar. I also wonder if the Newer TRI Glide rake comes from the frame or the tree. If it comes from the tree I would order the parts and have them ready when the time comes. I know HD made frame changes to the TRI Glide but what they were I do not have a clue.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:34 PM
FreedomRider
Road Master

I looked up the specs ... Electra Glide, Road Glide, and Tri Glide all show 26* rake ... the difference is in the trail ... Electra Glide is 6.7 and Road Glide shows 6.8 ... Tri Glide shows 3.94 ... it looks like the rake is in the trees on the Tri Glide

Old 01-16-2018, 07:39 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,628 Likes on 5,180 Posts

Originally Posted by FreedomRider
I looked up the specs ... Electra Glide, Road Glide, and Tri Glide all show 26* rake ... the difference is in the trail ... Electra Glide is 6.7 and Road Glide shows 6.8 ... Tri Glide shows 3.94 ... it looks like the rake is in the trees on the Tri Glide
I need to look into that.

Quick Reply: To Rake or not to Rake