Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

99 roadking issues tuning help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 02:42 PM
Ericjameshvac@gmail.com
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 roadking issues tuning help

I have a 99 roadking classic. 39000 miles. Magnetti marreli efi. Switched out cam chain tensionor for gears. Upgraded to andrews 26 cam. Adjustable pushrods. Sampson straight pipes with custom baffles. Big sucker 2 high flow air . it has a tfi/dfo which basically allows you to tune your fuel injection with four pots just like you would a carb. Ive tried and tried to get this thing to perform better it still just feels slugish. Should i switch to a power commander instead of this fuel pak style or what can i do? I want it to run smoother but seems nobody has experience with these junk magnetti marelli throttle bodys. I dont have money to convert to carb at this point. Please rely your experience to this years fuel injection

Old 06-17-2017, 03:07 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericjameshvac@gmail.com
I have a 99 roadking classic. 39000 miles. Magnetti marreli efi. Switched out cam chain tensionor for gears. Upgraded to andrews 26 cam. Adjustable pushrods. Sampson straight pipes with custom baffles. Big sucker 2 high flow air . it has a tfi/dfo which basically allows you to tune your fuel injection with four pots just like you would a carb. Ive tried and tried to get this thing to perform better it still just feels slugish. Should i switch to a power commander instead of this fuel pak style or what can i do? I want it to run smoother but seems nobody has experience with these junk magnetti marelli throttle bodys. I dont have money to convert to carb at this point. Please rely your experience to this years fuel injection
What exactly do you mean by "it feels sluggish"? compared to what?
The Magnetti Marelli system is used in many high dollar vehicles but unfortunately there are very few who understand the system when used on a harley.
It is a very simple system and has been tuned for big motor high power harleys in the past.
In your specific case it would seem like you have straight pipes which are basically good for wide open throttle by design.
Do you ride the bike at wide open throttle?
The DFO has a few controls but if you do not understand their use then it will leave you without maximum performance.
The use of a DFO will not turn your bike into a rocket.
Changing to a power commander would make very little difference, basically you are adding fuel with either system.
If you need to squeeze every last bit of Hp then a dyno tune would be required but the reality is that you might get 1 or 2 Hp max unless you are running a terrible tune at the moment.
Do a research as some basic numbers for your DFO should get you close enough.
Your bike is not a race bike and your modifications are a little more than minor.
Sometimes when looking at dollars spent some folks might feel disappointed.
You should be able to obtain proper throttle response and have the bike run smoothly with your general modifications.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:14 PM
Ericjameshvac@gmail.com
Novice
Default I may have misrepresented my problem

I dont mean sluggish but more that my throttle feels it has a lag . when i twist throttle back it always feels lugged down then gets better after a second. I dont want to race it just want good response. I got better throttle response by adjusting my 2nd pot which i believe is the wide open pot but started popping on decel really bad

Old 06-17-2017, 08:58 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

I did some reading.
try:
Settings:
Green 3
Yellow 3
Red 4
RPM 4
These are basically a guess to get you in the general area
A bump up or down has significant value.
A link to read but unfortunate that internal links are no longer active:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...ion-video.html

Old 06-17-2017, 09:50 PM
Ericjameshvac@gmail.com
Novice

Thank you for help ill try it and test run her

Old 06-18-2017, 08:42 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 278 Likes on 197 Posts

The DFO is only capable of adding fuel. There will be parts of the map that will require less fuel than stock when adding cams. The DFO is just not sufficient for your combo. A Power Commander would be much better-- a real tune with TTS (if you could find one--they are extinct for the MM bikes), or Direct Link by Technoresearch would be the proper way to tune. None of the tuning options can fix a hardware issue-- ensure there are no issues with engine temp sensor and tp sensor prior to making any adjustments. Those pipes are not doing you any favors as well.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:01 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,196 Likes on 658 Posts

Im probably doing a tmax with autotune next year