Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Harley orange performance tuner

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 07:44 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

TTS i agree looks superior, but theres no way I can get in there and play, I know the FP3 might be a joke to some, but for me I can see engine temps, what both cylinder are doing, I can change idle RPM'S for cooler temps, decal pop, I can tinker, the tts, seems like the guy who programs it will have to put on a dyne, or he wont know the air numbers my built motors reading, so were looking at 1300$$$ thats a lot, can u tune the tts without a dyne, I want to dyne, but like 500 miles after I broke in motor to see what its really doing, plus my indy dynode my motor before, didn't tell me but he did, I said I don't wanna see it till I dyne the after numbers, than I will see. just how good a build this was dollar for dollar...

Old 09-05-2017, 07:59 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

the power commander 5, I am looking for a tuner that I can get a initial tune on, and than as I ride it riches or leans to keep original tune that was uploaded,, I see the thundermax does this, I'm just weary of changing the harley eco out...???

Old 09-06-2017, 10:38 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

You will be better served to go with something other than Screaming Eagle Pro Tune, Race tune or the Street Tuners as they require loads and loads of dyno time.

Go with and not in any particular order TTS or Power Commander or Power Vision.
the money saved buying those will be realized during the dyno tuning process.

Plus, when you change things you as the owner might be able to adjust/tune rather than relying on a dealer.
Rob

The following users liked this post:
TOMMYBLAZIN (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by jbarr1
If it's the pro tuner, it's not a bad tuner. Certainly not the best but not the worst either. $465 was the retail price for the tuner. I'd go for a TTS or Power Vision first.
Like he said. Powervision 👍

Wiz out

TOMMYBLAZIN (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 08:39 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

Originally Posted by CndUltra95
You will be better served to go with something other than Screaming Eagle Pro Tune, Race tune or the Street Tuners as they require loads and loads of dyno time.

Go with and not in any particular order TTS or Power Commander or Power Vision.
the money saved buying those will be realized during the dyno tuning process.

Plus, when you change things you as the owner might be able to adjust/tune rather than relying on a dealer.
Rob
does powervison after professionally tuned, keep updating the tune due to weather changes elevation, humidity, etc? also does it need to be dyne tuned, or just tuned? I don't wanna dyne till motors fully broken in, I have a new 107 kit on there....only 2 heat cycles with a fp3 on there, that they gave me a map for a 107 and the cams, but nothing for the air....

Old 09-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,458 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by TOMMYBLAZIN
does powervison after professionally tuned, keep updating the tune due to weather changes elevation, humidity, etc? also does it need to be dyne tuned, or just tuned? I don't wanna dyne till motors fully broken in, I have a new 107 kit on there....only 2 heat cycles with a fp3 on there, that they gave me a map for a 107 and the cams, but nothing for the air....
Power Vision has nothing to do with it, just as TTS has nothing to do with it. The factory ECM does this all on its own provided all the sensors are hooked up and working correctly.

TOMMYBLAZIN (09-08-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 07:43 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 419 Posts

Tommy, based on your comment about getting 500 miles before seeing the dyno....
From my experience as a tuner I can say with confidence there is no good reason to ride an untuned performance build without getting it on a dyno to verify AFR and ignition timing is safe and good for breakin.
A tuner will start nice and easy tuning the low rpm/low load areas actively noting and looking for issues that may show up in the first 500 miles without proper recalibration and general AFR and timing monitoring for detonation and high, lean temps.
Also a tuner will make sure the cylinder walls don't get washed down from excessively rich conditions due to cam changes.
I like to break in all new builds which then provides for a reliable, smooth, and responsive ride without worrying if fueling and timing are proper and safe.
The old wives-tail method of breakin (500-1000mi) before getting beat on a dyno was developed before EFI when an engine could get a bit more or less fueling from air velocity changes through the carb.
With the advent of EFI the engine cannot request (suck) more or less fuel as the engine runs. It must have specific tp/rpm/load cells (175+ per cylinder) calibrated to the "new" way the air moves throughout the entire system from the a/c to the exhaust tip.
Hope this clears up some of the misconceptions of new build break ins.
Bob

Last edited by FLTRI17; 09-07-2017 at 07:56 PM.
TOMMYBLAZIN (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 12:21 AM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Tommy, based on your comment about getting 500 miles before seeing the dyno....
From my experience as a tuner I can say with confidence there is no good reason to ride an untuned performance build without getting it on a dyno to verify AFR and ignition timing is safe and good for breakin.
A tuner will start nice and easy tuning the low rpm/low load areas actively noting and looking for issues that may show up in the first 500 miles without proper recalibration and general AFR and timing monitoring for detonation and high, lean temps.
Also a tuner will make sure the cylinder walls don't get washed down from excessively rich conditions due to cam changes.
I like to break in all new builds which then provides for a reliable, smooth, and responsive ride without worrying if fueling and timing are proper and safe.
The old wives-tail method of breakin (500-1000mi) before getting beat on a dyno was developed before EFI when an engine could get a bit more or less fueling from air velocity changes through the carb.
With the advent of EFI the engine cannot request (suck) more or less fuel as the engine runs. It must have specific tp/rpm/load cells (175+ per cylinder) calibrated to the "new" way the air moves throughout the entire system from the a/c to the exhaust tip.
Hope this clears up some of the misconceptions of new build break ins.
Bob
sure does.....

Old 09-08-2017, 10:58 AM
billib1954
Road Master
Received 354 Likes on 233 Posts

Just did a 107 (wide open cycles, Fredericksburg). Chad put in a break in tune on the dyno, got it back, rode it for 700 miles, then went back for final tune. 111/122. engine runs much smoother than stock. me happy.