Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

se tuners

Old 10-07-2013, 04:30 PM
nippytom
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default se tuners

Beside the money difference is the se race tuner that much better than the street tuner whats the difference?

Old 10-07-2013, 05:18 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

The Street tuner only allows the dealer to apply canned maps. (not much flexibility). The Pro Super tuner (formerly called Race tuner) is completely tuneable... You can even buy cables and software and run SmartTune yourself.
IOW, don't waste your $ on the Street tuner...

If you're interested in DYI, you might want to look at another option like FuelMoto's PowerVision as the SEPST isn't very user friendly.

Last edited by jam436; 10-07-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:25 PM
nippytom
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks friend I'll keep that in mind

Old 10-07-2013, 05:30 PM
jam436
Supporter

To really get the most out of the SEPST you really need a skilled tuner and a dyno...

Old 10-07-2013, 05:44 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I once mapped a bike with the SE Race Tuner. Never Again!!! There are much better tuners on the market. Check out Power Vision or Thunder Max.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I went cheap and bought the street tuner. You can download stage 1 or 2 maps and update your ecu. You can also run the smart tune to fine tune the tune to your bike. You can't manually update ve table or spark. Super tuner allow all tables to be updated. As for the stage two that will be with the se255 cam. If you want to use any other cam, you will need the super tuner.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:44 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Back in 07 all HD had was the SERaceTuner or downloads, the download were really hit and misses back then.

So I went with the SERT and stg 1 at the 1K. with a dyno tune. I love it. I don't have to mess with it and it was perfect for 15k when then I added the cams . Got a winter cam job that included a FREE dyno tune after the install.

Now with almost 46 K and 7 yrs old our SERT tuned bike has been totally trouble FREE. I haven't had to touch the tuning other than those two dyno's.

Son has had 3 new bikes since 07, all three with stg1 and cams. The 07 had the SERT and his 09 and 10 had the SEpST and he's had narry a prob with any of them..
He's sold on the tuner as I am. If,,,, I ever get another new bike, I will for sure tune it with the SEpST.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:02 AM
jam436
Supporter

Originally Posted by oct1949
Back in 07 all HD had was the SERaceTuner or downloads, the download were really hit and misses back then.

So I went with the SERT and stg 1 at the 1K. with a dyno tune. I love it. I don't have to mess with it and it was perfect for 15k when then I added the cams . Got a winter cam job that included a FREE dyno tune after the install.

Now with almost 46 K and 7 yrs old our SERT tuned bike has been totally trouble FREE. I haven't had to touch the tuning other than those two dyno's.

Son has had 3 new bikes since 07, all three with stg1 and cams. The 07 had the SERT and his 09 and 10 had the SEpST and he's had narry a prob with any of them..
He's sold on the tuner as I am. If,,,, I ever get another new bike, I will for sure tune it with the SEpST.

One thing I've read about the SEPST is that in the hands of a professional, it may well be the best tuner available since, well, it was designed by the same people who built the bike. Compelling argument.
But I'm not 100% sold on the dyno yet, although I'm beginning to move in that direction...

I have the SEPST (including cables and software) and the SmartTune feature is basically useless for the end-user, unless you have access to Daytona or Talladega.

After I had the Stage 1 done, the bike ran better but hotter than hell - MPG fell off too, and on top of that the decel popping was worse than ever. ViED's corrected ALL of that but they're more of a "quick-fix" instead of a long-term solution.

There's just so many variables here that how can I know if the guy doing the tune and I are on the same page?
I get the feeling from talking to the service guy here, that if dyno'd they'd still be obliged to maintain EPA standards, meaning still way to lean...

Old 10-10-2013, 10:52 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a SEPST and the smart-tune function works great for me and many others you'll find in the SEPST sticky thread under the EFI section.

There's another good sticky thread there that lists questions to ask your tuner. Basically you want to ensure that they are going to set up your VE numbers correctly before moving on to the AFR and timing tables. Too many of them just take the system out of closed loop and adjust the AFR to maximise full-throttle performance curves, leaving your bike running shitty for 95% of the time.

Your HD dealer is not a tuner. They will most likely stick a stock tune on and call it done.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 469 Likes on 249 Posts

There are a lot of good points so far. The thing to remember is the smart tune function is for the ECM to "learn" what your bike needs. This is where the dyno comes in handy because you can run the bike in many gear and RPM combinations that would attract the attention of law enforcement. There is a process to follow and if its done correctly there will be no reason to tune it again. The SEPST can be a bit overwhelming at first and it does take some mechanical knowledge to use. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE STREET TUNER!!! If you will be doing this yourself you may look into the Powervision with Auto-Tune from what I understand it's pretty user friendly. If you are going to spend the money on a dyno-tune talk to the person who will be running the dyno and see what they are most comfortable working with. I suggest an independent most dealer dyno tunes are a canned map and then they run it a couple of times and hand you a horsepower sheet and act like they did you a favor. A thorough tune usually takes 3-4 hours to get things dialed in right, it's not about a horsepower number it's about having your bike perform properly and running efficiently.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: se tuners