Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Can you use a SERT to tune without a Dyno run?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Ace07FXDL
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can you use a SERT to tune without a Dyno run?

I've got a appointment Monday to drop my bike off(07 FXDL) at my dealers to have them installa set ofRinehart Staggered's,SE Stage 1 kit A/C and re-map/tune my bike accordingly. I do have to purchase a SERT per the dealer. I want it tuned in for the new pipes and A/C but don't want to Dyno tune the bike yet as I only have 500 miles on it. Can I get a good tune using a SERT without a full Dyno tune being done? I was going to go with a Thundermax unit but since I won't be doing anything more than pipes and A/C on the bike I think its overkill to go with the Thundermax. I can get my pipes installed, buy the SE A/C & SERT and get all the work done for about what a TMAX would cost. Can I get a good tune using a SERT without a full Dyno Tune being performed?

Old 06-15-2007, 12:50 AM
Wags1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can you use a SERT to tune without a Dyno run?

Suspect that the only "tune" you are gonna get from the dealer without paying for the dyno tune is that they will load the canned cal from the CD that is closest to what you have. And they will probably charge you an hour of labor to do it. Save the money and do it yourself. And then you can tweak the cal a bit yourself. The SERT includes data capture mode so you can even take a run or two (as long as you have some way to have your laptop connected - saddle bag or backpack will do) review the data, tweak, repeat as required.
It is all explained in the SERT manual. Take the time and study it.

Oh, and don't let the dealer give you any BS that THEY have to install the SERT for you. If you have a laptop, can install software from a CD, can connect a couple of cables together, and follow simple instructions, you can do it yourself.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:48 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

My bike runs fine without the dyno tune.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:17 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wags1

Suspect that the only "tune" you are gonna get from the dealer without paying for the dyno tune is that they will load the canned cal from the CD that is closest to what you have. And they will probably charge you an hour of labor to do it. Save the money and do it yourself. And then you can tweak the cal a bit yourself. The SERT includes data capture mode so you can even take a run or two (as long as you have some way to have your laptop connected - saddle bag or backpack will do) review the data, tweak, repeat as required.
It is all explained in the SERT manual. Take the time and study it.

Oh, and don't let the dealer give you any BS that THEY have to install the SERT for you. If you have a laptop, can install software from a CD, can connect a couple of cables together, and follow simple instructions, you can do it yourself.
Agree. A canned map with the 02 bias tables maxed to 798mV will get you going just fine. IF you have a good SERT dynotuner, then after you feel comfortable with the mileage, let them tune it for optimal tuning. Piece of cake and as close to plug and play as you can get.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:47 PM
DynaMoHum
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will the sert load the same stage 1 parametersasgoing to the dealer for the "stage 1 flash"?