Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ignition Failure-1992 FLHTC

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Ing. Robert Forbus
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Failure-1992 FLHTC

I usually work on my own 'bike, and seldom have questions that require some outside advice, but hey, I'm tossing in the towel here, so here is the recent history:

1992 FLHTC stock machine, save for the S & S Super E. The 'bike recently stripped it's 32-tooth gearbelt sprocket on the final drive, and I replaced this unit as well as all oils seals associated with the primary. During this repair the only electrical connections disturbed was the grounding strap that connects via one of the screws that secure the inner primary and I removed the battery for charging. The bike broke down on the highway, and was towed to my home via a rolloff car hauler. As the operator was unloading the 'bike hedropped it on it's right-hand side and it suffered cosmetic damage. I removed the outer fairing and right-side saddlebag and had them repaired. Also, I removed theAM/FM/Cassette player, had it repaired by Radio Sound (the OEM for HD)and installed it. I checked its operation while I was waiting for parts, and it functions 100%.

Okay, so the 'bike is repaired, and I lower it to the ground and connect the battery and switch on the fuel. In just a few seconds of cranking the engine comes to life, runs for about ten seconds and then dies. I work the throttle to purge any air from the fuel system and try again to no avail. I check the fuel supply-it is good. I check for water in the fuel-there is none. I stick a screwdriver in a spark plug boot and bring it close to the cylinder head-no spark. I refer to the factory repair manual for the ignition schematics and proceed to perform all of the tests, and everthing that can be tested passes. While my ignition module is only five (5) years old, I replace it with a new unit and the 'bike starts and dies after a few seconds. I examine the crankshaft sensor located in the nose cone, and it appears to be the original unit. As there are no real tests for the performance of this unit, I replaced it as well. I examined the rotor that is fastened to the end of the shaft, and it is secure and rotates correctly when the engine turns. The 'bike repeats its start, run, and die behaviour.

I examine the ignition coil with a multimeter, and it passes. Nevertheless I replace it as well. So, I now have a 'bike with a new ignition module, pickup sensor, and ignition coil that still will not start and run. The wiring, continuity, and resistance values for all circuits are correct and the battery has 13 volts present. I checked all of the circuit breakers and they are fine. I checked the starter relay and of course it is moving as it should. Now, I did not remove it for a thorough bench examination.

So, it is still a 1992 FLHTC with a new HD ignition module, pickup sensor, ignition coil, and factory-repaired radio/cassette player, and it will not start and run. The engine kill switch functions correctly, and its operation can beverified at the connector for the ignition module. All circuits pass the factory-prescribed tests.The 'bike fell on its right side, but did not fall hard enough to break anything.These are all of the details, and I am at a loss as to what should be done next, and any advice is most welcome.