Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Replacement ECM and Screaming Eagle Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 01:01 PM
KiwiVrod
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement ECM and Screaming Eagle Tuner

Hi All,
Please excuse the new thread...I see there are lots of queries of a similar nature but nothing I can find specifically pertaining to my problem, hence the new thread...

My son bought a 2015 VRod second hand. 3000 genuine mileage. Beautifull machine. Bike has been modified slightly with new pipes etc. He was supplied with the original SE Super Tune, dongle/ memory stick that was bought with the bike from the Harley Dealer (in Australia) at new. The bike had been properly dyno'ed. Bike was exported to NZ as original owner moving back home. All good so far then.......
Bike played up and then just stopped running completely. Stuck on side of road. Tow truck brought in and bike returned home. ($300NZ) I ran full diagnostic with Harley manual and eventually found the earth circuit (pin 14 of ECM) is dead. Took bike to Harley dealer (in NZ and not the original dealer) for backup diagnostic and ordered new, genuine ECM. Tech guy at shop was briefed and shown the SE Tuner and I was told the bike was needed at shop (hoping to hook up myself) to load new base tune before overlaying SE Tune. But then....
Returned bike to shop yesterday to have new ECM replaced and base tuned. Cost $680 plus workshop time = $800. Told bike should not be ridden too much as base tune not correct for modified bike and SE Tuner no good as married to old ECM. Buy a new one they said. $688 for SE Tuner and $550 for Dyno. So now we are looking at over $2000 for an ECM that has done 3000 miles...!!
Have had a pointed discussion with dealer (who by the way is genuinely concerned) about:
a) why would an ECM burn at 3000 miles
b) why, when you replace a genuine defective part with like for like on the same machine, would Harley shut you out of a genuine HD product (SE Pro Tuner) bought specifically for that bike??

I have no problem with the fact that protection of a product is necessary but I am not swapping machines nor am I using anything but HD products. I am merely trying to bring the bike back to where it was after suffering from what must be a defective part. I am accepting the full cost for that part.(ECM)
Now I do a lot of drag racing and we often suffer similar problems with our computer gear. However, providing the dealer has full knowledge of my purchase, that I am not marrying bogus or incompatible parts by other manufacturers to my ECM and that I have not been careless enough to cross wire etc, I can return to base at a small cost and have the ECM unlocked and re tuned or diagnosed.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-21-2018, 08:59 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

First retrieve and save map from tuner key using the tuner software.

Then send the tuner key to the guy on ebay in Canada who resets them.

Then load the map you retrieved into the new ecm using the reset tuner key.

Result - same good existing tune in replacement ecm.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 02-21-2018 at 09:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Moi (02-28-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 08:33 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

1 post wonder...