Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bike Makes More Power When Backing Off Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 03:20 PM
LazySundays
Road Captain
Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Z
The computerized era we're living in has us wrapped around the axle about data points and perfect tunes, and I've become guilty of it too, but at what financial and time cost?

It wasn't all that long ago that all bikes and all cars ran fine - thank you very much - with nothing more that a carburetor, a set of points and a condenser inside a distributor that used a simple vacuum-actuated plate plus weights and springs to control ignition timing. You set it, you forget, you run it.

Just a thought, but is your bike running well enough to make it through another year without dropping $400 with a tuner? Only you can answer that. But if you're going to do cams next year, and if it's not running all that bad, then maybe just ride it and forget it, and put that $400 you'd spend for an interim tune into something more tangible. If I understand right, the issue only happens near WOT, which isn't a place where you probably spend a lot of time.

Just thinking out loud
That's sort of where I am with this process. I'm going to save what I have and spend a bit of time trying to tweak it but I'm not going to spend a ton of time or money on it. Worst case, I know where the engine makes the best power when I need to pass.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:12 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Z
It wasn't all that long ago that all bikes and all cars ran fine - thank you very much - with nothing more that a carburetor, a set of points and a condenser inside a distributor that used a simple vacuum-actuated plate plus weights and springs to control ignition timing. You set it, you forget, you run it.
You're quite right - I've owned many vehicles with carbs (some with a lot of them!) and EFI, all of which ran fine, unmodified. However we have a modified bike here and anyone who has owned or observed Harleys in recent decades will have come across many modified bikes that ran rough, thanks to lack of a decent tune. That applied in the past to carb bikes and does today with EFI ones. You may be surprised just how beautifully a well-tuned much modified Harley can ride.....

Old 08-11-2018, 06:16 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
... You may be surprised just how beautifully a well-tuned much modified Harley can ride.....
i couldn't agree more.

I built motors as far back as 1978 that made tons of horsepower and ran like a champ with nothing more than Carter AFBs carbs and Mallory dual-point ignition systems. Jet the carb, set the advance required for the cam, gap the points and plugs, set the dwell, and run the SOBs and never look back.

For those with limited resources of time and / or money, the pursuit of the perfect tune can take more resources than are available or justifiable for the task, and then "good enough" is just that. As Voltaire said, "Perfect is the enemy of good."

I don't fault anyone who wants to pursue that perfect tune, it's just not for me. For me, if the difference between "good enough" and "perfect" is several hundred dollars in parts, several hundred dollars of dyno time, and tens of hours of my time, then I'll take good enough any day.

Just my .02.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:21 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Lean lean lean

Old 08-11-2018, 07:08 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

If it was carburated it would be that it's too lean at WOFO , you back off the throttle from WOFO and there's less air and more fuel so it "runs on" so to speak,seeing as you've enrichened the decel I'd say it's an EFI version of this.
I think Larry is on to it.

Last edited by badcooky; 08-11-2018 at 07:09 PM.