Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Gdetting back into tuners

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 11:51 PM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by paulmedford
yea , I want to upgrade to 95ci and 9.5 pistons , I have a wood cam TW-6 right now, thats a good cam, so just want to get a tuner and do some tuning myself. Will let you know how it goes. I bought a NOS SEPST and want to gt a dynojevt pv3. I have a 2005 FXDCI
You will have to add some external o2 sensors. If memory serves me right you will also upgrade to a 176 calibration.

Old 01-07-2024, 07:04 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 1,559 Posts

What tuners will work without sensors? I am using cause I have them. But if I didn't have them is it worth adding them? Besides new exhaust you would need an ECM that can read them. So I would think going with a tuner that did not use them would be the way to go. 2007 was first year sensors, other than maybe CA and such.

Old 01-10-2024, 08:54 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,002 Likes on 3,409 Posts

With this thread going all over the place I am a little hesitant to respond but here goes, stick with @fuelmoto , they have great canned maps.. For what you're trying to do that's all you need.. You can either purchase a power vision from them or just a license but that's definitely the way to go and stick with them and not dynojet. Fuel motor has excellent service and an excellent library of maps..

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 01-10-2024 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-10-2024, 01:00 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

My options are sert
Fuel motto just a license or one of tuners.

I spoke to fuel moto, great talk. Problem is they are a speed shop, that is their wheel house. I go low compression it may put outside of their wheel house.

They have great price on kits if you go ala carte not as good, but I am may see what they can do.

I know to many people who say I wish I put compression releases in. I don't even want to screw with that.

If you want power their 107 kit is great price you can't put do it cheaper yourself.

Interesting thing, they said don't do as many twin cams anymore. I suppose many people buy their new bike and modify.

How many people are sticking $$$ into an old bike?

Old 01-10-2024, 05:42 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 118 Posts

you dont need o2 sensors, you can calibrate or tune the ve tables to match the open loop lamda table, to do this yes the dyno would hook up an exetrnal lamda (wideband) to the exhaust so you can set the VE table properly ( set the lambda or afr table to one value and adjust the VE to match that value) . After that the ecm will calculate afr/lamda based on the VE and the approximate afr in open loop. The o2 sensors will obviously make it easier to calibrate, but its not necessary.

Old 01-10-2024, 05:43 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain

I bought a PV3 from fuel moto, didnt get it yet, and i bought a sert, didnt get it yet either. Ill update on the use of both

Old 01-10-2024, 06:38 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by paulmedford
I bought a PV3 from fuel moto, didnt get it yet, and i bought a sert, didnt get it yet either. Ill update on the use of both
Why by both? Does harley make SERTs, I thought they had a new product. If you bought a used product you may have gotten swindled. They mate to the bike. You might still be able to use it to read codes and diagnotic monitoring. Orginally I bought SERT because it can do all that, but never used it in that role.

In 2007 after market tunners just dummied the signal from the ECM to fuel injection, but SERT rewrote the map. Now after market can install new map too

Old 01-10-2024, 06:49 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain

the SERT i got was unmarried NOS. its the orange one capable of tuning most parameters. I bopught both to experiment and give feedback to those interested. Ill share my experience once i get them

Old 01-10-2024, 06:55 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I need to find an older computer to run mine. I am not sure if they make windows emulators to run programs for older versions of windows, Also need usb to serial converter.

Old 01-10-2024, 08:28 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 927 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
I need to find an older computer to run mine. I am not sure if they make windows emulators to run programs for older versions of windows, Also need usb to serial converter.
You must get an "FTDI Chip" usb to serial for ultimate reliability. Newer windows programs can often times run legacy software.

Quick Reply: Gdetting back into tuners