Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

'98 Evo options with PCIII Thundermax

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 06:11 AM
cewood
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default '98 Evo options with PCIII Thundermax

I am considering either the PCIII or Thundermax for my 1998 Road King. Not looking to start another thread on which is better but have a question about the 1998 Evo.

When looking at either system, it looks as though I would have to purchasethe set up specifically for theEvo motor on my Road King. If this is true, it takes away one of the benefits of being able to take the system off one bike and put it on a new one....I was hoping to buy a new one in the next couple of years.

So do I have that right? I would have to buy the system for the early EVO engines, but then I would be stuck if I purchase a newer model later?

Old 12-03-2007, 09:25 AM
fxrp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '98 Evo options with PCIII Thundermax

You are correct. The 1998 HD fuel injection is a Magnetti-Marelli (sp?) and the new EFIs are Delphi.

Don't know what your plans are but in your position I would get the PCIII for the '98 and when Ibought a new bike I would upgrade to the Thundermax.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:20 PM
ULTRAKING
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 RK had all the problems that come with MM injection the only thing i can say works is take the injection off and put a carb onit . thats what i did i'm getting 50 miles to the gal and it runs great .

Old 12-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ThunderMax unit (MMconversion toDelphi-type single-runner throttle body, ecu and plug-n-play wiring harness)is nearly $ 2000 with the AutoTune upgrade (why would you buy this system without it?) and the PCIII-usb can be had for around $ 300. I think you'll be more than pleased - I found the PCIII map to run a lot smoother than the HD Stage II download, which worked fine with no pinging or detonation using Hooker Tuned-Flow slip ons. Can't speak for other MM owners, but if I had EFI issues with my bike I'd sure as h*ll diagnose which wire, sensor, or module was the cause before I switched out to yesterday's technology (but that's just me ). YMMV.