Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Can oil be cleaned from SE air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:03 AM
TNBagger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can oil be cleaned from SE air filter?

I have a Stage I SE air filter on my '08 Ultra. After a 103" Stage II was installed by a dealer, I noticed smoke coming from the air cleaner after my first ride. I checked the oil level and it was about a half quart overfilled. I syphoned off the extra oil and everything has been OK since then except that each time I got a new flash (dealer download or SERT map), the bike would run well for about a week and then act like it got detuned.A few daysafter the new flash it would lose some throttle response and run like it had a base SERT map, not a dyno tuned map.

The other day I wondered if the air filter was oiled up so I pulled it off and sure enough some oil dripped out. It appeared that the oil had pretty well soaked the bottom part of the filter and wicked its way around the rest of the filter (about 2000 miles on the filter). I cleaned the filter out using Dawn dishwashing liquid and water. I checked the plugs and the tips were the proper color but the base had lots of soft carbon so I replaced them. The bike now seems to run a little better. Here aremy questions: Can washing out a paper SE air filter get the oil out or do I need a new one? (It's hard to tell if the filter is clean since the paper filter has a wire screen cover).
Also, do you think the oily air filter would cause the bike to run rich and lose power?

Old 04-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts
Default RE: Can oil be cleaned from SE air filter?

ORIGINAL: TNBagger

Can washing out a paper SE air filter get the oil out or do I need a new one? (It's hard to tell if the filter is clean since the paper filter has a wire screen cover).
If it's a white HD filter like the oneIhave, it's a dry filter, and not meant to be oiled. I would replace it. FYI, K&N does not make a replacement filter for the new SEA/Ckit yet.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:29 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

They say you can wash them but I don't recommend it. Mine was starting to come apart so I just went and got a K&N. But in your case I would get a new one. I might tell the dealer who overfilled your bike to give you a new one.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:06 PM
wildman3699
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I myself would be more worried aboutwhythe oil is in the filter. Are you sure it's just from being alittle over full on oil or is it something internal. Ride Safe