Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

06 RK FLHRI Cold Start Question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 02:00 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 RK FLHRI Cold Start Question.

My 06 RK FLHRI which is 3 weeks old and has 275 miles on it had a new download installed with my SERT last Saturday at the dealers that was sent down from HD. I had been having trouble with it starting and coughing and quiting even when idling until it warmed up. It also coughed at times when slowing down and getting ready to stop. It would also pop on decel which I thought was happening because it was running lean. Originally HD was going to send CVO injectors to put in but then HD said that this new map should work good. Well it seems to definitely run better both at idle after a cold start and when riding it. My question is after sitting all night for 12 to 16 hours shouldn't the bike start and run right off the bat since it is an FI model and not take 2 or 3 starts to get it to run and idle? After it is warmed up or even after it has sat for 4 or 5 hours it will start and run at idle on the first try. It only takes 2 or 3 tries after sitting for a long time. It will run for a second and stop and maybe do this a couple of times before starting and running. I let go of the starter switch right when it fires off and never hit the switch until the engine light goes off. Does this happen to anyone else or do I have a definite problem? Do your FI bikes start right off on the first try after sitting for 12 or more hours? At least it no longer coughs and quits when starting or after it starts and is idling. Thanks, I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:28 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 148 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: 06 RK FLHRI Cold Start Question.

I should start after a few revolutions hot or cold.The EFI uses a series of sensors and one may be out of parameters like the CHT.(head temp). Take it to the dealer and explain this situation that did the work on the bike. They can hook up to it with the digital tech and check the parameters of the various sensors. You should try to convince them to change the injectors to the CVO injectors. They pass more gas. Tell them it feels lean, pops back at times and surges at speeds

Old 03-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Matt115
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you may have the wrong injectors. I'm sure you've read this post.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_292010/tm.htm

Old 03-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine starts right away after sitting for 8 hours, 4 days, or 10 seconds... quick reset to turn off the damn low fuel light that comes on if started on stand when less than 1/2 tank.
Never stalls, sputters, coughs, etc...

Not a tourer, but shouldn't much matter I wouldn't think.

No engine mods.