Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Cold Start Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:19 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cold Start Problems

2006 Dyna Street Bob, Short Shots, Stage One A/C, TMax w/auto.

I've been having cold start problems for some time now and I can't take it anymore. For the last month or so I've been trying to work it out with adjustments to the thundermax. Nothing has worked. I'm now running map #238 the bike runs fine once warm (occasional pop, no big deal).

48 degrees this morning hit the starter all she does is crank. Let off the starter button wait 2 sec. hit it again starts right up runs for a few sec. and dies. Start a third time, low idle, give it some throttle for a few sec. let off throttle, it dies. Forth start, pops right off, idle normal for a min. and off to work. I had the IAC valve off last week and cleaned all the gunk off, I moved the plunger in and out by hand to make sure it wasn't bound, hopefully I didn't wreck it, what ever I didn't certinly hasn't changed my starting problems for the better or worse. I also ran some some sea foam through my last tank of gas, no change. Anybody have any tips, or do I need to bite the bullet and take it in for dianastic.

Oh and I have no trouble codes.

Last edited by HOGRIDA_06; 05-12-2009 at 08:20 AM. Reason: added that no trouble codes found.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:37 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member

I took the bike in for dianastic yesterday and the dealer could find nothing wrong. Guess I'll get ahold to Zipper's next.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:43 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Do you have the 8 degree or 25 degree fuel injectors? If you have the 8 degree ones that could be it. Mine were horrible below 50 degrees so I had them swapped out at 1000 miles service for the CVO 25 degree ones (warranty). Never a problem after that.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:00 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member

I wonder if its the 8 degree injectors, but the thundermax should adjust for that I thought. At least the map I'm running state's 8 degree injector.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:35 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HOGRIDA_06
I wonder if its the 8 degree injectors, but the thundermax should adjust for that I thought. At least the map I'm running state's 8 degree injector.
The 8* basically sucks. It's functional shortcomings can only be adjusted to a point but will never work as well as the 25* More map selection is also a benifit of the 25s. I sent you a pm just before reading this.
Ron

Old 05-17-2009, 12:00 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member

Typo in origanal post.......should read map # 438. I found a set of 25 degree injectors on ebay a few weeks ago for $80 and I passed on them cause work hasn't been paying so good. I guess I'll keep my eye out for another set and try that.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 PM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member

I took a look inside the tank tonight at the fuel pump. I found a bad fuel line, hopefully replacing this line will fix all my problems. Could have saved myself alot of trouble looking there sooner. Oh well, still learning.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:24 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HOGRIDA_06
I took a look inside the tank tonight at the fuel pump. I found a bad fuel line, hopefully replacing this line will fix all my problems. Could have saved myself alot of trouble looking there sooner. Oh well, still learning.
So, the tmax is good and everything around it if falling apart? I really wish they would come up with a better type of hose. Maybe some thick section o rings stuck in the segments at the contact areas is the answer for now. Or, if you can nail the exact contact area even a short sleeve of neoprene about 1-1.5" long. Full neoprene would stress the fittings too much. Your symptoms are much like pinholes in the line and poor pressure causing start issues, especially with low fuel level in the tank. Less so when full tank.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 05-19-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:43 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member

I just ordered a piece of Gates Submersible fuel hose, as outlined in this thread. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...fuel-line.html

I was pretty sure it wasn't a TMax problem. I have made all sorts of changes to the Tmax and although I could get the bike to run differently I couldn't tune out the cold start issue. I just thought I was dealing with a bad sensor or injector...And I still maybe, but I'm gonna start with replacing the fuel pump hose and go from there. I'll post an update once once I get the hose installed.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:30 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member

Replacing the hose on my fuel pump fixed my cold start problem 100%. My bike has been sitting for a few day because of rain, last night I replaced the worn out stock hose with the gates submersible rubber hose. Got on the bike this morning to go to work and she popped right off, no hard cranking, no studder , no stall. Perfect.

Quick Reply: Cold Start Problems