Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

No electricity to bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:49 PM
ape.hanger883
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No electricity to bike

2000 Sportster 883

A couple days ago when i was out I turned the iginition on and once I pressed the start button the bike made a snap/pop sound and all electricity died (lights, neutral indicator everything) after about 3-5 secs everything came back on and bike started. Went to ride the bike next day and same thing happened and it did not come back from the dead. I did not have time then to look much further into it. I have since tried it and everything came on and then died once I hit the started button after another snap/pop.

I removed the seat and there is a 3-pin connector attached to the frame that goes from ignition switch to starter, the end that goes to switch smells kinda like electrical burn but no physical sign of damage.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

p.s. Battery is HD and has a full charge (is new since last winter)

Old 08-20-2008, 01:14 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you have a short condition taking out your main breaker. I say this because when you have a short, the breaker does its job and opens the circuit to prevent damage. It does this by overheating before the wire and tripping the relay. As it cools down, it will reset, making everything appear normal. Persoanlly, when all the lights are back and the breaker is reset, I would push start it, ride it around the block a few times and see what it does. If everything works, I would pull it in the drive, shut it off and try to start it with the button. If it takes out the breaker you have isolated the problem to the starter circuit and you will have to eliminate possibilities one by one, for instance, disconnect the wire at the starter and push the button. If the breaker goes, it is something other than the starter, if the breaker doesn't go, maybe a bad starter winding or something similar. Electrical problems are usually easy to find and fix, it is just tedious time to keep eliminating possibilites until you get to the root cause.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:17 PM
ape.hanger883
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it must be something else as I cannot get anything out of it even after a day.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:49 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a good look at your battery terminals and make sure there is no possibility of them (the positive) touching anything it shouldnt....other than that, what Frog said.
Good luck