Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
See any knock retard?
The only knock retard events I got were all in the same place. 23XX rpm and 60'ish MAP on the front cylinder, but not every time those numbers showed up. It was a hit and miss event. Every time it pulled timing it did the usual 2*, 1* .5* for 10 milliseconds. Then I wouldn't see another knock event for 5 minutes. I pulled 1* out of the timing from 2000 to 2500 in the 60 column to see what happens. I had only one event on the rear so I pulled .5* on it at that area as well.

I seem to have caught a bug so my riding is out for the next few days. I am anxious to see what happens.

Like Stailjim61 said, I could probably leave it alone like it is but I like to play around with my stuff.

As an added note my mpg was 36.2 for the day and I still have a bit of black soot on the exhaust plates. That is pretty close to what I used to get before the 103 build. Maybe a 2 mpg loss right now.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:22 PM
RaptorRay
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 46u
Ebay from a person that has a shop so it has a warranty.
DirectCycleParts.com has the PV for $420. Free shipping. Enter coupon code hdfourms or forums10 for $10 off that. I think the codes are right. Search the forums for directcycleparts if notams you'll find them. I got mine there and all is well. Ask for the free gift and they'll throw a deck of HD playing cards in the box.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 PM
rtuuji
Advanced

It seems like you're just confusing yourself. Set it up at 14.6 and go do some tuning runs. You aren't concerned about the AFR table settings, what you need to be looking at is getting your VE's and timing dialed in. Once you get the VE's within a percent or two then start working on your timing tables. Once you get timing squared away ( bring it up until it starts to ping and then back off 2 degrees, some like 3) go back and make 2 more VE runs. You should be dialed in pretty good at that point. Now you can play around with the AFR table. Messing with the AFR table before you have your VE's and Timing right is just wasting time. If your VE's aren't right your AFR won't be right so don't bother with them until your dialed in. And yes, if your CLB's are higher than 450 your AFR's will be richer also.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by rtuuji
It seems like you're just confusing yourself. Set it up at 14.6 and go do some tuning runs. You aren't concerned about the AFR table settings, what you need to be looking at is getting your VE's and timing dialed in. Once you get the VE's within a percent or two then start working on your timing tables. Once you get timing squared away ( bring it up until it starts to ping and then back off 2 degrees, some like 3) go back and make 2 more VE runs. You should be dialed in pretty good at that point. Now you can play around with the AFR table. Messing with the AFR table before you have your VE's and Timing right is just wasting time. If your VE's aren't right your AFR won't be right so don't bother with them until your dialed in. And yes, if your CLB's are higher than 450 your AFR's will be richer also.
What the f$ck is with you dude? Every post you make is just quoting someone else!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain

It seems like you're just confusing yourself. Set it up at 14.6 and go do some
tuning runs. You aren't concerned about the AFR table settings, what you need to
be looking at is getting your VE's and timing dialed in. Once you get the VE's
within a percent or two then start working on your timing tables. Once you get
timing squared away ( bring it up until it starts to ping and then back off 2
degrees, some like 3) go back and make 2 more VE runs. You should be dialed in
pretty good at that point. Now you can play around with the AFR table. Messing
with the AFR table before you have your VE's and Timing right is just wasting
time. If your VE's aren't right your AFR won't be right so don't bother with
them until your dialed in. And yes, if your CLB's are higher than 450 your AFR's
will be richer also
I didn't think I needed to say I am well past dialing in the VE tables, but I guess I do. I have been done with the VE tables and I am now working on the timing tables for small knock events. I was looking at the logs to see where the knock events were so I could pull some timing out there. It was while looking at the logs I saw what the Set AFR was and it surprised me to see the ecm was changing the set afr at certain places and that is why I asked if the CLB change would show up as a corrected set afr on the log sheet. I didn't ask about VE's or timing.

So again, will the CLB table change the set AFR figure in the logs?

Last edited by Watchfuliz; 02-19-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 273 Likes on 172 Posts

Changing clb's shouldn't change the "desired" afr. The ecm will change your target sometimes as a safety, that's why I asked about knock retard.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain

That is what I thought too. I just don't know why the Set AFR column would have an AFR of 12.5 in places on my log runs when the AFR table has 12.8 at those settings. I thought someone could tell me why that would happen. Just trying to learn here.

As far as knock, I had some minor knock events on the front Cly. and I pulled 1* out in that area just to see what happens. I haven't been able to ride it since so I don't know if that was enough yet.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:44 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Watchfuliz
That is what I thought too. I just don't know why the Set AFR column would have an AFR of 12.5 in places on my log runs when the AFR table has 12.8 at those settings. I thought someone could tell me why that would happen. Just trying to learn here.

As far as knock, I had some minor knock events on the front Cly. and I pulled 1* out in that area just to see what happens. I haven't been able to ride it since so I don't know if that was enough yet.
Set AFR on the databus comes from not only the AFR table, but also PE fuel, DE fuel, warmup enrichement, etc.. 14.6 is simply the closed loop switch and CLB represents the target voltage the ECM looks for when the O2 integrator is rolling.

Also note the key is not necessarily to eliminate every single knock event, as slight knock events are going to be pretty normal given the flexibility of the system. You want to however eliminate a pattern if you are getting consistent knock in a given area and work within the limitations of the system, if you reduce timing to eliminate say a very insignificant knock event you may end up with less than desirable base timing. For example many times in the automotive side of tuning the motors are commonly running at several degrees of knock retard under normal operation.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Last edited by fuelmoto; 02-19-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:53 PM
marknett
Advanced

Just got my power vision delivered today , Thanks fuelmoto. However when i removed my dobeck gen3 , it had o2 sensors bypasses and I am getting a code on front sensor . I got one ordered but in the meantime, I flashed my Ecm with fuelmoto's map and am running with bypass on the sensors. Can't wait for the sensor to arrive so I can play with autotune and logging. Map is great by the way . I thought I was pretty close on my dobeck but apparently I wasn't. Not knocking the dobeck unit , it did what it was suppossed to , you just couldn't see what was going on. Just had to keep playing with the settings.. So far , I'm happy with just the flash but I am getting a little decel pop. But man the 103 2012 dyna switchback has revived. Power on tap and ready to go

Old 02-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain

Thanks Jamie, this is a learning process I know and I really like learning about everything so this is something I can get my teeth into so to speak.

As far as tuning out every knock event, I understand what you are saying here too. I am only working on mine because the knock showed up at the same rpm and map cell every time it showed up in the logs. Now it didn't show up every time I hit that cell so it was intermittent, but when it did show up it was at that cell with it showing up 4 times in a 14 minute log file. That is the reason I felt I could tune that out. I pulled 1* in that area just to see if that stopped it or made it a rare event.

Thanks for everyones help. I am pleased with my results so don't misunderstand my questions here, just trying to learn and get the best out of my tune as I can.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread