Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:29 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

After I get this dialed in, my next things are PE enrichment and acceleration enrichment.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:57 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

A couple of notes on this entire EITMS calibration on 07 bikes:

I couldn't run the calibration from the dealer to my house to tune so I had to load my custom tune. Along the way I learned via Jamie these are binary files and you have to have the base calibration in the ECM you are modifying before you over write it. So the process goes like this:

1. Go to dealer to get EITMS base calibration installed.
2. Back up base calibration. This will create a second backup file on the Vision.
3. Restore factory ECM calibration. I assure you it's the original and not the one you just got from the dealer. Then load your custom tune.
4. Once you get the PV connected to your laptop from the PowerVision menu backup stock files. Backup all of them. xxx01 is the from when you first set up the PV. xxx02 is the EITMS load from the dealer.
5. From the same menu delete all of the calibrations off of the PV.
6. rename xxx02 to xxx01. (DO NOT OVER WRITE YOUR ORIGINAL xxx01. YOU MAY FIND YOU WILL NEED IT LATER. Save it somewhere else on your computer).
7. Restore this file to the PV.
8. connect PV to your bike and restore the stock calibration. You now have the base calibration you need back in the bike.
9. From the custom tune menu hit load copy of stock. Save it to slot six and over write your previous copy. You now have an editable copy of the EITMS load.
10. Connect the PV to your computer.
11. Load your previous custom tune that was working fine and select all custom tune values you have adjusted. From the file menu click save selected values and save the PVV file.
12. Load the copy of the stock tune from the PV in WinPV.
13. From the file menu select load all values and open the PVV file you created in step 10.
14. Save the new file with an appropriate name to your computer.
15. Send the tune to the PV.
16. Load to your bike as before.

Now was all this effort worth it? No! It doesn't seem to help that much but I'm still playing with AFRs so maybe with reduced AFRs it will work better. I will post my results as I get this dialed in.

Last edited by FX4; 06-10-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:39 PM
883_dave
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4
A couple of notes on this entire EITMS calibration on 07 bikes:

I couldn't run the calibration from the dealer to my house to tune so I had to load my custom tune. Along the way I learned via Jamie these are binary files and you have to have the base calibration in the ECM you are modifying before you over write it. So the process goes like this:

1. Go to dealer to get EITMS bas calibration installed.
2. Back up base calibration. This will create a second backup file on the Vision.
3. Restore factory ECM calibration. I assure you it's the original and not the one you just got from the dealer. Then load your custom tune.
4. Once you get the PV connected to your laptop from the PowerVision menu backup stock files. Backup all of them. xxx01 is the from when you first set up the PV. xxx02 is the EITMS load from the dealer.
5. From the same menu delete all of the calibrations off of the PV.
6. rename xxx02 to xxx01. (DO NOT OVER WRITE YOUR ORIGINAL xxx01. YOU MAY FIND YOU WILL NEED IT LATER. Save it somewhere else on your computer).
7. Restore this file to the PV.
8. connect PV to your bike and restore the stock calibration. You now have the base calibration you need back in the bike.
9. From the custom tune menu hit load copy of stock. Save it to slot six and over write your previous copy. You now have an editable copy of the EITMS load.
10. Connect the PV to your computer.
11. Load your previous custom tune that was working fine and select all custom tune values you have adjusted. From the file menu click save selected values and save the PVV file.
12. Load the copy of the stock tune from the PV in WinPV.
13. From the file menu select load all values and open the PVV file you created in step 10.
14. Save the new file with an appropriate name to your computer.
15. Send the tune to the PV.
16. Load to your bike as before.

Now was all this effort worth it? No! It doesn't seem to help that much but I'm still playing with AFRs so maybe with reduced AFRs it will work better. I will post my results as I get this dialed in.

Wow! Thanks for the great explanation. I do not have the problem that you had, but your post really helped me understand how to load a new base calibration to the PV/WinPV. I think I need to go through at least part this process with my FM custom tune so that I can view/edit my spedo. calibration.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:49 PM
883_dave
Cruiser

Does anyone know if the FuelMoto custom tunes use your bikes stock ECM values for speedometer calibration and the othe values that are not viewable with the delta function in WinPV? I really do not want to delete/change my base map if I don't have to. Thanks.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:20 AM
aclundwall
Cruiser

Dave,

My original FM map did not have the speedometer calibration values, and the gear ratios were slightly different than the ones in my stock tune. Although I was able to get the speedo calibrations into that tune using the info back on page thirty-something of this thread, I was not able to make my speedo work correctly using the FM tune. It would not correctly sense 6th gear. Even making the gear ratios match the stock tune didn't fix it. I wound up making a copy of the stock tune, and then copying all the tables to it from the FM tune, and that fixed my problem. Dunno if this helps you at all....

Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

A question for iclick or anybody that can answer. At one point in time I had a calibration in my 07 that shut down the rear cylinder when the heads reached a certain temperature. 34412-07D is not it. 34412-07D is a skip fire calibration, It sounds very different than the one I had that shut off the rear cylinder. Actually I don't like this calibration because it really bangs hard on the transmission when it is active. The one that drops the rear cylinder does not do this. Do you have any idea what that EITMS calibration may have been?

Last edited by FX4; 06-10-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:19 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Anyhow moving on to power enrichment...
With SE 255 cams what RPM should I kick in PE AFR? I'm thinking 3200 RPMs, just outside of my cruise range. Does throttle position trigger PE mode or is it vacuum? Acceleration enrichment, what should I target for those quick throttle blips? I'm thinking 13.9 but I really have no idea.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:23 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

A question for the tuners monitoring this thread. What do you think about setting the PE Enrichment AFR to 12.6 across the board?

Old 06-10-2011, 10:37 AM
captdave221
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PE

The way I understand how it works is at 100% TP and at a certain rpm PE is active.

I was never aware such a thing even existed in these ecm's. I have been to HD Race Tuner School @ HD in Milwaukee and such a thing was never mentioned. I think it is a neat thing to have though.

I own a 2011 Electra Glide and have 103", Wood 408-6 cams, high comp forged pistons, MVA heads, Hi-Flow a/c, FullSac B header w/ both bung sizes, SE street legal muffs (the ones that look like SuperTrapps. The only item I am happy with is I use 2270 in PV for my speedo and now it reads the same as my GPS but don't know how close the odometer is to being accurate

Talk about trying to tune this combination is exhausting sometimes. I have a copy of SESRT and have copied VE and Timing tables from that into various PV maps and some run good and some not. If you look at Harleys timing tables you will think you know nothing at all about how an engine should be timed. Sometimes I miss a set of points, a centifigal advance plate, and 2 carbs. LOL

The noise everyone hears @ 2200-2800 rpm's I have heard on all Harley engines stock or modified, Evo or Twin cam since I got into Harley's in '91.
New bikes out of the crate have it in various amounts and that always made me feel better that my bike wasn't broken. Usually it would diminish by increasing/decreasing the throttle a bit. It is always the loudest @ a steady cruise.

Getting back to the 2011 bikes they seem to have a new and unique operating system compared to the previous FBW years. I wonder how to set the throttle transition gear to 6th to only use the Alternate Throttle Blade Control table. This is a wierd thing as I have monitored the TP and the twistgrip positions and have seen the TP @ a higher number than the grip.

A long post but only a few of my wondering's of how things work and how can I change them. I want a week with the engineer that made up these fuel injection systems. LOL I want to play 2000 questions with him.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:50 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Back to the PCV

I just can't seem to get a tune out of the AT100s log file so I'm going back
to my PC-V until things sort out for a bit. I'll use the ignition settings flashed
by the PV and zeroed out the ones on my old PCV.

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread