Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Vision Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 06:16 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

^^ roger that-

Old 03-07-2016, 07:03 PM
DDH
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to be clear and not get myself in trouble, is there a difference between copying the value column in code and pasting and manually writing down the values of a non TT tune and manually inputting those values? Is there a tune file in the background of a column of values? Grasshopper wants to learn.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:23 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Originally Posted by DDH
Just to be clear and not get myself in trouble, is there a difference between copying the value column in code and pasting and manually writing down the values of a non TT tune and manually inputting those values? Is there a tune file in the background of a column of values? Grasshopper wants to learn.
There would be no difference in that respect, the values are absolute. Just remember various tables are linked to other tables, VE is a good example; if you copy and paste a VE table one calibration to another the net results may not be like for like. Tables such as the CDE & MAP normalization will affect fuel delivery and are exposed in the software which makes things easy to spot, however there are other tables in the background of the caibration related to cam timing, MAP pressure, etc.. that can also greatly affect VE representation if they are different between the 2 calibrations. We used to run into this in the earlier years of flash tuning a decade ago, you would take 2 maps that appeared to be very close and the bike would run completely different.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 03-07-2016, 10:08 PM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

Jamie thanks for the info. Sorry if I misunderstood the previous info.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:25 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If you read between the lines, it is the people that own dynos and tune for a living that hate Target Tune. I have spent the last 10 years looking at data coming off EFI systems. I can tell you Target Tune is plenty good enough to terrify the guys selling dyno time.

You can use software like MLVHD to prove that TT is doing it's job. You can trust it to work as designed. You can have Jamie or any number of other people around the net look at the data. The last option is spend several hundred dollars to strap the bike to a dyno and have some guy thrash your bike.

Most people opt for installing the SW and HW, drive it for several TT tuning sessions and then go ride. A few people are like me and enjoy "watching" TT doing it's thing and enjoy learning. Software engineers write software (formulas) to automate all this stuff. Many of my best friends are these software engineers.

Have fun tuning.

Andy

The following users liked this post:
scooterbum46 (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 06:34 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

so a TT tuned bike using MLVHD (shameless plug for your software) for analysis will run and perform just as good as a professionally tuned bike?

I will give you the fact that there are a lot of crappy tuners across the US that do nothing but take advantage of the unsuspecting but there are also a TON of excellent tuners across the US who I'd put a dyno tuned bike up against a TT tuned bike any day of the week.

*DISCLAIMER*
I'm not a tuner, I'm a professional IT guy.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 03-08-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:51 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

That has been my findings. Have you spent the time to look at a totally dyno tuned bike in MLV and then tuned the very same bike with TT and looked at the results on the dyno and in MLVHD. I bet Jamie has.

Most of the motors I tune any more are people that have given up on dyno tuning.

Dyno operators make money by selling the same tune over and over again.

Feel free to do a dyno tune with the tuning SW and methods of your choice and then post up the Dynojet data log from an hour long ride. Let's see how you are at duplicating real world riding with your dyno. I bet people in the know will be happy to take a look.

Andy

Old 03-08-2016, 07:51 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,040 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Andy... we all know you sell/advertise and profit from the MLVHD and you are not a sponsor of HDF. If you would like I can send you a copy of the advertisement letter/greeting so you can sign up and support the site. If not I'll ask you to stop mentioning MLVHD.

Thanks

Old 03-08-2016, 09:09 AM
yobtaf103
Road Master
Received 274 Likes on 176 Posts

Hi Guys , wife just got a Slim S 110
stage 1, V&H slip-ons PM Merc intake, no maps for 110 TBW softail it seems, at flashyourharley.com any suggestions for a base map

Old 03-08-2016, 09:26 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Wiz- It is hard to have a discussion on reviewing log data in an appreciable manner and not mention it, since there is nothing else like it available.
For those if us who do not actually own a dyno machine, there are no complex log data analysis tools provided by DJ or anyone else for the PV. Andy is the only person that really knows how to use MLV to an advanced degree and provide guidance / answer questions. Plus you have to look at intent and track record- I think the intent is to provide tuning help to PV users, not plug a product.

FWIW- I have no affiliation, just an average Joe who benefits regularly from all of the good experienced tuner information shared here.

The following users liked this post:
Mr. Wizard (03-08-2016)

Quick Reply: Power Vision Information Thread